Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore, let us go forth to him outside the camp, bearing his reproach. For we have no continuing city here, but we seek one to come.
Select a book to read:Complete Translation
¶1. Adam, Seth, Enosh,
2. Cainan, Mahalaleel, Jared,
3. Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech,
4. Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
¶5. The sons of Japheth: Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.
6. And the sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz, and Riphath, and Togarmah.
7. And the sons of Javan: Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim.
¶8. The sons of Ham: Cush, and Mizraim, Put, and Canaan.
9. And the sons of Cush: Seba, and Havilah, and Sabta, and Raamah, and Sabteca. And the sons of Raamah: Sheba, and Dedan.
10. And Cush fathered Nimrod. He became a mighty man on the earth.
¶11. And Mizraim fathered Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,
12.and Pathrusim, and Casluhim, (from there came the Philistim), and Caphtorim.
¶13. And Canaan fathered Sidon his firstborn, and Heth,
14.and the Jebusites, and the Amorites, and the Girgashites,
15.and the Hivites, and the Arkites, and the Sinites,
16.and the Arvadites, and the Zamarites, and the Hamathites.
¶17. The sons of Shem: Elam, and Asshur, and Arphachshad, and Lud, and Aram, and Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Meshech.
18. And Arphaxad fathered Shelah, and Shelah fathered Eber.
19. And to Eber were born two sons. The name of the first was Peleg because in his days, the earth was divided. And the name of his brother was Joktan.
20. And Joktan fathered Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah,
21.Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah,
22.Ebal, Abimael, Sheba,
23.Ophir, Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.
¶24. Shem, Arphachshad, Shelah,
25.Eber, Peleg, Reu,
26.Serug, Nahor, Terah,
27.Abram, who is Abraham.
¶28. The sons of Abraham: Isaac, and Ishmael.
29. These are their generations: Nebajoth, Ishmael’s firstborn, and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
30.Mishma, and Dumah, Massa, Hadad, and Tema,
31.Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
32. And the sons of Keturah, Abraham’s concubine: she bore Zimran, and Jokshan, and Medan, and Midian, and Ishbak, and Shuah. And the sons of Jokshan: Sheba, and Dedan.
33. And the sons of Midian: Ephah, and Epher, and Hanoch, and Abida, and Eldaah. All these were the sons of Keturah.
¶34. And Abraham fathered Isaac. The sons of Isaac: Esau and Israel.
35. The sons of Esau: Eliphaz, Reuel, and Jeush, and Jalam, and Korah.
36. The sons of Eliphaz: Teman, and Omar, Zephi, and Gatam, Kenaz, and Timna, and Amalek.
37. The sons of Reuel: Nahath, Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah.
¶38. And the sons of Seir: Lotan, and Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah, and Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan.
39. And the sons of Lotan: Hori, and Homam. And Lotan’s sister was Timna.
40. The sons of Shobal: Alian, and Manahath, and Ebal, Shephi, and Onam. And the sons of Zibeon: Aiah, and Anah.
41. The sons of Anah: Dishon. And the sons of Dishon: Amram, and Eshban, and Ithran, and Cheran.
42. The sons of Ezer: Bilhan, and Zaavan, and Jakan. The sons of Dishan: Uz, and Aran.
¶43. And these are the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before a king reigned over the children of Israel: Bela ben-Beor; and the name of his city was Dinhabah.
44. And Bela died, and Jobab ben-Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his stead.
45. And Jobab died, and Husham of the land of the Temanites reigned in his stead.
46. And Husham died, and Hadad ben-Bedad, who struck Midian in the field of Moab, reigned in his stead; and the name of his city was Avith.
47. And Hadad died, and Samlah of Masrekah reigned in his stead.
48. And Samlah died, and Shaul of Rehoboth-by-the-River reigned in his stead.
49. And Shaul died, and Baal-hanan ben-Acbor reigned in his stead.
50. And Baal-hanan died, and Hadad reigned in his stead; and the name of his city was Pai, and the name of his wife was Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Me-zahab.
¶51. And Hadad died. And the chiefs of Edom were: Chief Timna, Chief Alvah, Chief Jetheth,
52.Chief Oholibamah, Chief Elah, Chief Pinon,
53.Chief Kenaz, Chief Teman, Chief Mibzar,
54.Chief Magdiel, Chief Iram. These were the chiefs of Edom.
¶1. These were the sons of Israel: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun,
2.Dan, Joseph, and Benjamin, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher.
3. The sons of Judah: Er, and Onan, and Shelah. These three were born to him by the daughter of Shua the Canaanitess. But Er, the firstborn of Judah, was wicked in the eyes of Jehovah, and Jehovah killed him.
4. And Tamar his daughter in law bore him Pharez and Zarah. All the sons of Judah were five.
¶5. The sons of Pharez: Hezron, and Hamul.
6. And the sons of Zarah: Zimri, and Ethan, and Heman, and Calcol, and Dara, five of them in all.
7. And the sons of Carmi: Achar, the troubler of Israel, who transgressed in the devoted thing.
8. And the sons of Ethan: Azariah.
¶9. And the sons of Hezron who were born unto him: Jerahmeel, and Ram, and Chelubai.
10. And Ram fathered Amminadab; and Amminadab fathered Nahshon, prince of the children of Judah;
11. And Nahshon fathered Salma, and Salma fathered Boaz,
12.and Boaz fathered Obed, and Obed fathered Jesse,
13.and Jesse fathered his firstborn Eliab, and Abinadab the second, and Shimma the third,
14.Nethaneel the fourth, Raddai the fifth,
15.Ozem the sixth, David the seventh.
16. And their sisters were Zeruiah, and Abigail. And the sons of Zeruiah: Abishai, and Joab, and Asahel, three.
17. And Abigail bore Amasa, and the father of Amasa was Jether the Ishmeelite.
¶18. And Caleb ben-Hezron fathered children by Azubah his wife, and by Jerioth. And these were her sons: Jesher, and Shobab, and Ardon.
19. And Azubah died. Then Caleb took to him Ephrath, and she bore him Hur.
20. And Hur fathered Uri, and Uri fathered Bezaleel.
¶21. And afterward, Hezron went in to the daughter of Machir, the father of Gilead, and he took her when he was sixty years old; and she bore him Segub.
22. And Segub fathered Jair, and he had twenty-three cities in the land of Gilead.
23. And he took Geshur, and Aram, with Hawoth-jair, from them, with Kenath, and its villages, sixty cities. All these belonged to the sons of Machir the father of Gilead.
24. And after Hezron died at Caleb-ephratah, then the wife of hezron, Abijah, bore him Ashur the father of Tekoa.
¶25. And the sons of Jerahmeel the firstborn of Hezron were Ram the firstborn, and Bunah, and Oren, and Ozem, and Ahijah.
26. And Jerahmeel had another wife, and her name was Atarah; she was the mother of Onam.
27. And the sons of Ram the firstborn of Jerahmeel were Maaz, and Jamin, and Eker.
28. And the sons of Onam were, Shammai, and Jada. And the sons of Shammai: Nadab, and Abishur.
29. And the name of the wife of Abishur was Abihail, and she bore him Ahban, and Molid.
30. And the sons of Nadab: Seled, and Appaim: but Seled died without children.
31. And the sons of Appaim: Ishi. And the sons of Ishi: Sheshan. And the children of Sheshan: Ahlai.
32. And the sons of Jada the brother of Shammai: Jether, and Jonathan: and Jether died without children.
33. And the sons of Jonathan: Peleth, and Zaza. These were the sons of Jerahmeel.
34. Now Sheshan had no sons, but daughters only. And Sheshan had a servant, an Egyptian, and his name was Jarha.
35. And Sheshan gave his daughter to Jarha his servant to wife, and she bore him Attai.
36. And Attai fathered Nathan, and Nathan fathered Zabad,
37.and Zabad fathered Ephlal, and Ephlal fathered Obed,
38.and Obed fathered Jehu, and Jehu fathered Azariah,
39.and Azariah fathered Helez, and Helez fathered Eleasah,
40.and Eleasah fathered Sisamai, and Sisamai fathered Shallum,
41.and Shallum fathered Jekamiah, and Jekamiah fathered Elishama.
¶42. And the sons of Caleb the brother of Jerahmeel: Mesha his firstborn, he was the father of Ziph. And the sons of Mareshah: Avi-Hebron .
43. And the sons of Hebron: Korah, and Tappuah, and Rekem, and Shema.
44. And Shema fathered Raham, the father of Jorkoam, and Rekem fathered Shammai.
45. And the son of Shammai was Maon, and Maon was the father of Beth-zur.
46. And Ephah, Caleb’s concubine, bore Haran, and Moza, and Gazez: and Haran fathered Gazez.
47. And the sons of Jahdai: Regem, and Jotham, and Geshan, and Pelet, and Ephah, and Shaaph.
48. Maachah, Caleb’s concubine, bore Sheber, and Tirhanah.
49. And she bore Shaaph the father of Madmannah, Sheva the father of Machbenah, and the father of Gibea; and the daughter of Caleb was Achsah.
¶50. These were the sons of Caleb ben-Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah: Shobal, the father of Kirjath-jearim,
51.Salma, the father of Bethlehem, Hareph, the father of Bethgader.
52. And Shobal, the father of Kirjath-jearim had sons: Haroeh, and half of the Manahethites.
53. And the families of Kirjathjearim: the Ithrites, and the Puhites, and the Shumathites, and the Mishraites; from these came the Zareathites, and the Eshtaulites.
54. The sons of Salma: Bethlehem, and the Netophathites, Ataroth, the house of Joab, and half of the Manahethites, the Zorites.
55. And the families of the scribes which dwelt at Jabez; the Tirathites, the Shimeathites, and Suchathites. These are the Kenites that came of Hemath, the father of the house of Rechab.
¶1. And these were the sons of David, who were born unto him in Hebron: the firstborn Amnon, of Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, second Daniel, of Abigail the Carmelitess,
2.third, Absalom, the son of Maachah the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur, the fourth, Adonijah, the son of Haggith:
3.fifth, Shephatiah of Abital, sixth, Ithream by Eglah his wife.
4. Six sons were born unto him at Hebron, and he reigned there for seven years and six months, and at Jerusalem he reigned thirty-three years.
5. And these were born unto him in Jerusalem: Shimea, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon, four, of Bathshua the daughter of Ammiel,
6.and Ibhar, and Elishama, and Eliphelet,
7.and Nogah, and Nepheg, and Japhia,
8.and Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphelet, nine.
9. These were all the sons of David, beside the sons of the concubines; and Tamar was their sister.
¶10. And the son of Solomon was Rehoboam, Abia his son, Asa his son, Jehoshaphat his son,
11.Joram his son, Ahaziah his son, Joash his son,
12.Amaziah his son, Azariah his son, Jotham his son,
13.Ahaz his son, Hezekiah his son, Manasseh his son,
14.Amon his son, Josiah his son.
15. And the sons of Josiah: the firstborn Johanan, the second Jehoiakim, the third Zedekiah, the fourth Shallum.
16. And the sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son.
17. And the sons of Jeconiah: Assir, Salathiel his son,
18.and Malchiram, and Pedaiah, and Shenazar, Jecamiah, Hoshama, and Nedabiah.
19. And the sons of Pedaiah: Zerubbabel, and Shimei. And the sons of Zerubbabel: Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith was their sister,
20.and Hashubah, and Ohel, and Berechiah, and Hasadiah, Jushabhesed, five.
21. And the sons of Hananiah: Pelatiah, and Jesaiah, the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shechaniah.
22. And the sons of Shechaniah: Shemaiah. And the sons of Shemaiah: Hattush, and Igeal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six.
23. And the sons of Neariah: Elioenai, and Hezekiah, and Azrikam, three.
24. And the sons of Elioenai: Hodaiah, and Eliashib, and Pelaiah, and Akkub, and Johanan, and Dalaiah, and Anani, seven.
¶1. The sons of Judah: Pharez, Hezron, and Carmi, and Hur, and Shobal.
2. And Reaiah ben-Shobal fathered Jahath, and Jahath fathered Ahumai, and Lahad. These were the families of the Zorathites.
3. And these were of the father of Etam: Jezreel, and Ishma, and Idbash; and the name of their sister was Hazelelponi.
4. And Penuel the father of Gedor, and Ezer the father of Hushah. These were the sons of Hur, the firstborn of Ephratah, the father of Bethlehem.
5. And Ashur the father of Tekoa had two wives, Helah and Naarah.
6. And Naarah bore him Ahuzam, and Hepher, and Temeni, and Haahashtari. These were the sons of Naarah.
7. And the sons of Helah: Zereth, and Jezoar, and Ethnan.
8. And Coz fathered Anub, and Zobebah, and the families of Aharhel ben-Harum.
9. And Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him with sorrow.”
10. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, “O that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from evil that it might not grieve me!” And God granted him what he had asked.
11. And Chelub the brother of Shuah fathered Mehir, who was the father of Eshton.
12. And Eshton fathered Beth-rapha, and Paseah, and Tehinnah the father of Ir-nahash. These were the men of Rechah.
13. And the sons of Kenaz: Othniel, and Seraiah. And the sons of Othniel: Hathath.
14. And Meonothai fathered Ophrah, and Seraiah fathered Joab, the father of the valley of Harashim, for they were craftsmen.
15. And the sons of Caleb ben-Jephunneh: Iru, Elah, and Naam. And the sons of Elah, even Kenaz.
16. And the sons of Jehaleleel: Ziph, and Ziphah, Tiria, and Asareel.
17. And the sons of Ezra: Jether, and Mered, and Epher, and Jalon. And she bore Miriam, and Shammai, and Ishbah, the father of Eshtemoa.
18. And his wife Jehudijah bore Jered the father of Gedor, and Heber the father of Socho, and Jekuthiel the father of Zanoah. And these are the sons of Bithiah the daughter of Pharaoh, whom Mered took.
19. And the sons of his wife Hodiah the sister of Naham: Avi-Keilah the Garmite, and Eshtemoa the Maachathite.
20. And the sons of Shimon: Amnon, and Rinnah, Benhanan, and Tilon. And the sons of Ishi: Zoheth, and Ben-zoheth.
21. The sons of Shelah ben-Judah: Er the father of Lecah, and Laadah the father of Mareshah, and the families of the house of them that wrought fine linen, of the house of Ashbea,
22.and Jokim, and the men of Chozeba, and Joash, and Saraph, who had dominion in Moab, and Jashubi-lehem. And these are ancient things.
23. They were the potters, and dwelt in Netaim and Gederah. They dwelt there with the king in his service.
¶24. The sons of Simeon: Nemuel, and Jamin, Jarib, Zerah, and Shaul,
25. Shallum his son, Mibsam his son, Mishma his son.
26. And the sons of Mishma: Hamuel his son, Zacchur his son, Shimei his son.
27. And Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters, but his brethren did not have many children, and none of their family multiplied, like the sons of Judah.
28. And they dwelt at Beersheba, and Moladah, and Hazar-shual,
29.and at Bilhah, and at Ezem, and at Tolad,
30.and at Bethuel, and at Hormah, and at Ziklag,
31.and at Beth-marcaboth, and Hazar-susim, and at Beth-birei, and at Shaaraim. These were their cities until the reign of David.
32. And their villages were Etam, and Ain, Rimmon, and Tochen, and Ashan, five cities,
33.and all their villages that were round about the cities, as far as Baal. These were their dwelling places, and their genealogy.
¶34. And Meshobab, and Jamlech, and Joshah ben-Amaziah,
35.and Joel, and Jehu ben-Josibiah, the son of Seraiah, the son of Asiel,
36.and Elioenai, and Jaakobah, and Jeshohaiah, and Asaiah, and Adiel, and Jesimiel, and Benaiah,
37.and Ziza ben-Shiphi, the son of Allon, the son of Jedaiah, the son of Shimri, the son of Shemaiah.
38. These entered by their names were princes in their families, and the house of their fathers increased greatly.
39. And they went to the entrance of Gedor, as far as the east side of the valley, to seek pasture for their flocks.
40. And they found rich, good pasture, and the land was wide, and quiet, and at peace, for they of Ham had dwelt there from old.
41. And these written by name came in the days of Hezekiah king of Judah, and they struck their tents and the dwellings that were found there, and they destroyed them to this day and dwelt in their places because there was pasture there for their flocks.
42. And some of them, five hundred men of the sons of Simeon, went to mount Seir, with Pelatiah, and Neariah, and Rephaiah, and Uzziel, the sons of Ishi, as their captains.
43. And they struck down the rest of the Amalekites that had escaped, and dwell there to this day.
¶1. And the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel, for he was the firstborn, but as he defiled his father’s bed, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph ben-Israel, and the genealogy was not reckoned according to the birthright.
2.For Judah prevailed above his brothers and a ruler came from him, but the birthright belonged to Joseph.
3. The sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel: Hanoch, and Pallu, Hezron, and Carmi.
4. The sons of Joel: Shemaiah his son, Gog his son, Shimei his son,
5.Micah his son, Reaia his son, Baal his son,
6.Beerah his son, whom Tilgath-pilneser, king of Assyria, carried into exile; he was prince of the Reubenites.
7. And his brethren by their families, when the genealogy of their generations was reckoned: the chief, Jeiel, and Zechariah,
8.and Bela ben-Azaz, the son of Shema, the son of Joel, who dwelt in Aroer, and as afr as Nebo and Baal-meon:
9. And eastward, he dwelt as far as the entrance of the wilderness of the river Euphrates because their cattle multiplied in the land of Gilead.
10. And in the days of Saul, they made war with the Hagarites, and they fell by their hand. Then they dwelt in their tents throughout all the region east of Gilead.
¶11. And the children of Gad dwelt next to them, in the land of Bashan as far as Salchah:
12.Joel the chief, and Shapham the second, and Jaanai, and Shaphat in Bashan.
13. And their brothers of the house of their fathers: Michael, and Meshullam, and Sheba, and Jorai, and Jachan, and Zia, and Heber, seven.
14. These are the children of Abihail ben-Huri, the son of Jaroah, the son of Gilead, the son of Michael, the son of Jeshishai, the son of Jahdo, the son of Buz:
15.Ahi ben-Abdiel, the son of Guni, chief of the house of their fathers.
16. And they dwelt in Gilead in Bashan, and in her towns, and in all the open fields of Sharon to their borders.
17. All these were reckoned by genealogies in the days of Jotham, king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam, king of Israel.
¶18. The sons of Reuben, and the Gadites, and half the tribe of Manasseh, of the men of war, men who bore shield and sword, and drew the bow, and trained in war, were forty-four thousand seven hundred and sixty who went out to battle.
19. And they made war with the Hagarites, with Jetur, and Nephish, and Nodab.
20. And they were supported against them, and the Hagarites were delivered into their hand, and all that were with them, for they cried to God in the battle, and he was intreated of them because they put their trust in him.
21. And they took away their cattle; of their camels fifty thousand, and of sheep two hundred and fifty thousand, and of asses two thousand, and of men an hundred thousand.
22. For there fell down many slain because the war was of God. And they dwelt in their places until the exile.
¶23. And the children of the half tribe of Manasseh dwelt in the land. From Bashan to Baal-hermon and Senir, and to mount Hermon, they increased.
24. And these were the heads of the house of their fathers, even Epher, and Ishi, and Eliel, and Azriel, and Jeremiah, and Hodaviah, and Jahdiel, mighty men of war, famous men, and heads of the house of their fathers.
25. But they transgressed against the God of their fathers, and went a whoring after the gods of the people of the land, whom God had destroyed before them.
26. And the God of Israel stirred up the spirit of Pul, king of Assyria, and the spirit of Tilgath-pilneser, king of Assyria, and he carried them away, the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh, and brought them unto Halah, and Habor, and Hara, and to the river Gozan, to this day.
¶1. The sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
2. And the sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel.
3. And the children of Amram: Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam. And the sons of Aaron: Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.
4. Eleazar fathered Phinehas, Phinehas fathered Abishua,
5.and Abishua fathered Bukki, and Bukki fathered Uzzi,
6.and Uzzi fathered Zerahiah, and Zerahiah fathered Meraioth.
7. Meraioth fathered Amariah, and Amariah fathered Ahitub,
8.and Ahitub fathered Zadok, and Zadok fathered Ahimaaz,
9.and Ahimaaz fathered Azariah, and Azariah fathered Johanan,
10.and Johanan fathered Azariah, (he who ministered as priest in the temple that Solomon built in Jerusalem),
11.and Azariah fathered Amariah, and Amariah fathered Ahitub,
12.and Ahitub fathered Zadok, and Zadok fathered Shallum,
13.and Shallum fathered Hilkiah, and Hilkiah fathered Azariah,
14.and Azariah fathered Seraiah, and Seraiah fathered Jehozadak.
15. And Jehozadak went into captivity, when the
Lord took Judah and Jerusalem into exile by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar.
¶16. The sons of Levi: Gershom, Kohath, and Merari.
17. And these are the names of the sons of Gershom: Libni and Shimei.
18. And the sons of Kohath: Amram, and Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel.
19. The sons of Merari: Mahli, and Mushi. And these are the families of the Levites according to their fathers.
20. Of Gershom: Libni his son, Jahath his son, Zimmah his son,
21.Joah his son, Iddo his son, Zerah his son, Jeaterai his son.
22. The sons of Kohath: Amminadab his son, Korah his son, Assir his son,
23.Elkanah his son, and Ebiasaph his son, and Assir his son,
24.Tahath his son, Uriel his son, Uzziah his son, and Saul his son.
25. And the sons of Elkanah: Amasai, and Ahimoth.
26. Of Elkanah, the sons of Elkanah: Zophai his son, and Nahath his son,
27.Eliab his son, Jeroham his son, Elkanah his son.
28. And the sons of Samuel: the firstborn Vashni, and Abiah.
29. The sons of Merari: Mahli, Libni his son, Shimei his son, Uzza his son,
30.Shimea his son, Haggiah his son, Asaiah his son.
¶31. And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of the
Lord when the ark had rest.
32. And they ministered before the tabernacle, the tent of meeting, with song, until Solomon had built the house of the
Lord in Jerusalem, and then they stood for their service according to their order.
33. And these are they who stood with their children. Of the sons of the Kohathites: Heman the singer, the son of Joel, the son of Shemuel,
34.the son of Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Eliel, the son of Toah,
35.the son of Zuph, the son of Elkanah, the son of Mahath, the son of Amasai,
36.the son of Elkanah, the son of Joel, the son of Azariah, the son of Zephaniah,
37.the son of Tahath, the son of Assir, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah,
38.the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, the son of Israel.
39. And his brother Asaph, who stood on his right hand, Asaph ben-Berachiah, the son of Shimea,
40.the son of Michael, the son of Baaseiah, the son of Malchiah,
41.the son of Ethni, the son of Zerah, the son of Adaiah,
42.the son of Ethan, the son of Zimmah, the son of Shimei,
43.the son of Jahath, the son of Gershom, the son of Levi.
44. And their brothers, the sons of Merari stood on the left hand: Ethan ben-Kishi, the son of Abdi, the son of Malluch,
45.the son of Hashabiah, the son of Amaziah, the son of Hilkiah,
46.the son of Amzi, the son of Bani, the son of Shamer,
47.the son of Mahli, the son of Mushi, the son of Merari, the son of Levi.
48. And their brothers the Levites were appointed unto all manner of service of the tabernacle of the house of God,
¶49. but Aaron and his sons were appointed for offering on the altar of the burnt offering, and on the altar of incense, for all the work of the Most Holy Place, and to make atonement for Israel, according to all that Moses, the servant of God, had commanded.
50. And these are the sons of Aaron: Eleazar his son, Phinehas his son, Abishua his son,
51.Bukki his son, Uzzi his son, Zerahiah his son,
52.Meraioth his son, Amariah his son, Ahitub his son,
53.Zadok his son, and Ahimaaz his son.
¶54. And these are their dwelling places throughout their camps in their borders of the sons of Aaron, to the families of the Kohathites, for theirs was the first lot,
55. and they gave them Hebron in the land of Judah, and its open fields round about it.
56. But the fields of the city, and the villages thereof, they gave to Caleb ben-Jephunneh.
57. And to the sons of Aaron they gave the cities of refuge: Hebron, and Libnah with its open fields, and Jattir, and Eshtemoa with its open fields,
58.and Hilen with its open fields, Debir with its open fields,
59.and Ashan with its open fields, and Bethshemesh with its open fields.
60. And from the tribe of Benjamin: Geba with its open fields, and Alemeth with its open fields, and Anathoth with its open fields. All their cities throughout their families were thirteen cities.
¶61. And to the sons of Kohath, who were left of the family of that tribe, were given by lot from the half tribe, the half tribe of Manasseh, ten cities.
62. And to the sons of Gershom according to their families were given from the tribe of Issachar, and from the tribe of Asher, and from the tribe of Naphtali, and from the tribe of Manasseh in Bashan, thirteen cities.
63. To the sons of Merari were given by lot, according to their families, from the tribe of Reuben, and from the tribe of Gad, and from the tribe of Zebulun, twelve cities.
64. And the children of Israel gave to the Levites these cities with their open fields.
65. And they gave by lot from the tribe of the children of Judah, and from the tribe of the children of Simeon, and from the tribe of the children of Benjamin, these cities, which are called by their names.
¶66. And some of the families of the sons of Kohath had the cities of their borders from of the tribe of Ephraim.
67. And they gave unto them the cities of refuge: Shechem in the hill country of Ephraim with its open fields, and Gezer with its open fields,
68.and Jokmeam with its open fields, and Bethhoron with its open fields,
69.and Aijalon with its open fields, and Gathrimmon with its open fields.
70. And from the half tribe of Manasseh: Aner with its open fields, and Bileam with its open fields, for the remaining family of the sons of Kohath.
¶71. To the sons of Gershom were given from the family of the half tribe of Manasseh: Golan in Bashan with its open fields, and Ashtaroth with its open fields.
72. And fromthe tribe of Issachar: Kedesh with its open fields, Daberath with its open fields,
73.and Ramoth with its open fields, and Anem with its open fields.
74. And from the tribe of Asher: Mashal with its open fields, and Abdon with its open fields,
75.and Hukok with its open fields, and Rehob with its open fields.
76. And from the tribe of Naphtali: Kedesh in Galilee with its open fields, and Hammon with its open fields, and Kirjathaim with its open fields.
77. To the rest of the children of Merari were given from the tribe of Zebulun: Rimmon with its open fields, Tabor with its open fields.
78. And on the other side Jordan opposite Jericho, on the east side of Jordan, were given them from the tribe of Reuben: Bezer in the wilderness with its open fields, and Jahzah with its open fields,
79.Kedemoth also with its open fields, and Mephaath with its open fields.
80. And from the tribe of Gad: Ramoth in Gilead with its open fields, and Mahanaim with its open fields,
81.and Heshbon with its open fields, and Jazer with its open fields.
¶1. And the sons of Issachar: Tola, and Puah, Jashub, and Shimron, four.
2. And the sons of Tola: Uzzi, and Rephaiah, and Jeriel, and Jahmai, and Jibsam, and Samuel, chiefs of the house of their father, Tola. They were mighty men of war in their generations; their number in the days of David was twenty-two thousand six hundred.
3. And the sons of Uzzi: Izrahiah. And the sons of Izrahiah: Michael, and Obadiah, and Joel, Ishiah, five, all of them chiefs.
4. And with them, by their generations, according to the house of their fathers, were bands of soldiers for war, thirty-six thousand men, for they had many wives and sons.
5. And their brethren among all the families of Issachar, mighty men of war, were eighty-seven thousand, all reckoned by their genealogies.
¶6. The sons of Benjamin: Bela, and Becher, and Jediael, three.
7. And the sons of Bela: Ezbon, and Uzzi, and Uzziel, and Jerimoth, and Iri, five, chiefs of the house of their fathers, mighty men of war; and they were twenty-two thousand and thirty-four reckoned by their genealogies.
8. And the sons of Becher: Zemira, and Joash, and Eliezer, and Elioenai, and Omri, and Jerimoth, and Abiah, and Anathoth, and Alameth. All these are the sons of Becher.
9. And their reckoning, according to their genealogy by their generations, chiefs of the house of their fathers, mighty men of war, was twenty thousand two hundred.
10. And the sons of Jediael: Bilhan. And the sons of Bilhan: Jeush, and Benjamin, and Ehud, and Chenaanah, and Zethan, and Tharshish, and Ahishahar.
11. All these were the sons of Jediael, by the heads of their fathers, mighty men of war, seventeen thousand two hundred, who could go out in the arm for battle.
12. And Shuppim, and Huppim, the sons of Ir, and Hushim, the sons of Aher.
¶13. The sons of Naphtali: Jahziel, and Guni, and Jezer, and Shallum, the sons of Bilhah.
¶14. The sons of Manasseh: Ashriel, whom his Syrian concubine bore. She bore Machir, the father of Gilead.
15. And Machir took a wife for Huppim and Shuppim, and his sister’s name was Maachah. And the name of the second was Zelophehad, and Zelophehad had daughters.
16. And Maachah, the wife of Machir, bore a son, and she called his name Peresh; and the name of his brother was Sheresh, and his sons were Ulam and Rakem.
17. And the sons of Ulam: Bedan. These were the sons of Gilead ben-Machir, the son of Manasseh.
18. And his sister Hammoleketh bore Ishod, and Abiezer, and Mahalah.
19. And the sons of Shemida were, Ahian, and Shechem, and Likhi, and Aniam.
¶20. And the sons of Ephraim: Shuthelah, and Bered his son, and Tahath his son, and Eladah his son, and Tahath his son,
21.and Zabad his son, and Shuthelah his son, and Ezer, and Elead, but the men of Gath who were born in the land killed them when they came down to take away their cattle.
22. And Ephraim their father mourned many days, and his brothers came to comfort him.
23. And he went into his wife, and she conceived and bore a son, and he called his name Beriah, because it was evil in his house.
24. (And his daughter was Sherah, who built lower Beth-horon, and the upper, and Uzzen-sherah.)
25. And Rephah was his son, also Resheph, and Telah his son, and Tahan his son,
26.Laadan his son, Ammihud his son, Elishama his son,
27.Non his son, Jehoshua his son.
28. And their possessions and dwellings were: Bethel and its towns, and to the east Naaran, and to the west Gezer, with its towns, and Shechem and its towns, as far as Gaza and its towns.
29. Also in the hands of the children of Manasseh were Bethshean and its towns, Taanach and its towns, Megiddo and its towns, Dor and its towns. In these dwelt the children of Joseph ben-Israel.
30. The children of Asher: Imnah, and Isuah, and Ishuai, and Beriah, and Serah their sister.
31. And the sons of Beriah: Heber, and Malchiel, who is the father of Birzavith.
32. And Heber fathered Japhlet, and Shomer, and Hotham, and Shua their sister.
33. And the sons of Japhlet: Pasach, and Bimhal, and Ashvath. These are the children of Japhlet.
34. And the sons of Shamer: Ahi, and Rohgah, Jehubbah, and Aram.
35. And the sons of his brother Helem: Zophah, and Imna, and Shelesh, and Amal.
36. The sons of Zophah: Suah, and Harnepher, and Shual, and Beri, and Imrah,
37.Bezer, and Hod, and Shamma, and Shilshah, and Ithran, and Beera.
38. And the sons of Jether: Jephunneh, and Pispah, and Ara.
39. And the sons of Ulla: Arah, and Haniel, and Rezia.
40. All these were the children of Asher, chiefs of their father’s house, choice mighty men of war, chief of the princes. And their number reckoned by their genealogy in the army for battle was twenty-six thousand men.
¶1. And Benjamin fathered Bela his firstborn, Ashbel the second, and Aharah the third,
2.Nohah the fourth, and Rapha the fifth.
3. And the sons of Bela: Addar, and Gera, and Abihud,
4.and Abishua, and Naaman, and Ahoah,
5.and Gera, and Shephuphan, and Huram.
6. And these are the sons of Ehud: these are the chiefs of the fathers of the inhabitants of Geba, and they sent them to Manahath,
7.with Naaman, and Ahiah, and Gera, he sent them. Then he fathered Uzza, and Ahihud.
8. And Shaharaim fathered children in the country of Moab, after he had sent them away; Hushim and Baara were his wives.
9. And he fathered sons by Hodesh his wife: Jobab, and Zibia, and Mesha, and Malcham,
10.and Jeuz, and Shachia, and Mirma. These were his sons, chiefs of the fathers.
11. And by Hushim he fathered Abitub, and Elpaal.
12. The sons of Elpaal: Eber, and Misham, and Shamed, who built Ono, and Lod, with its towns,
13.and Beriah, and Shema, who were chiefs of the fathers of the inhabitants of Aijalon; they drove away the inhabitants of Gath.
14. And Ahio, Shashak, and Jeremoth,
15.and Zebadiah, and Arad, and Ader,
16.and Michael, and Ispah, and Joha, the sons of Beriah;
17.and Zebadiah, and Meshullam, and Hezeki, and Heber,
18.and Ishmerai, and Jezliah, and Jobab, the sons of Elpaal;
19.and Jakim, and Zichri, and Zabdi,
20.and Elienai, and Zilthai, and Eliel,
21.and Adaiah, and Beraiah, and Shimrath, the sons of Shimhi;
22.and Ishpan, and Heber, and Eliel,
23.and Abdon, and Zichri, and Hanan,
24.and Hananiah, and Elam, and Antothijah,
25.and Iphedeiah, and Penuel, the sons of Shashak;
26.and Shamsherai, and Shehariah, and Athaliah,
27.and Jaresiah, and Eliah, and Zichri, the sons of Jeroham.
28. These were chiefs of the fathers, by their generations, chief men. These dwelt in Jerusalem.
¶29. And at Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, and the name of his wife was Maachah.
30. And his firstborn son was Abdon, then Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Nadab,
31.and Gedor, and Ahio, and Zacher.
32. And Mikloth fathered Shimeah. And they were next to their brothers; they dwelt in Jerusalem with their brothers.
33. And Ner fathered Kish, and Kish fathered Saul, and Saul fathered Jonathan, and Malchishua, and Abinadab, and Eshbaal.
34. And the son of Jonathan was Meribbaal. And Meribbaal fathered Micah.
35. And the sons of Micah: Pithon, and Melech, and Tarea, and Ahaz.
36. And Ahaz fathered Jehoadah, and Jehoadah fathered Alemeth, and Azmaveth, and Zimri, and Zimri fathered Moza.
37. And Moza fathered Binea: Rapha was his son, Eleasah his son, Azel his son.
38. And Azel had six sons, and these are their names: Azrikam, Bocheru, and Ishmael, and Sheariah, and Obadiah, and Hanan. All these were the sons of Azel.
39. And the sons of Eshek his brother: Ulam his firstborn, Jehush the second, and Eliphelet the third.
40. And the sons of Ulam were mighty men of war, archers, and they had many sons, and sons’ sons, one hundred and fifty. All these are of the sons of Benjamin.
¶1. So, all Israel was reckoned by genealogies; and, behold, they were written in the book of the kings of Israel and Judah. Then they were carried away to Babylon for their transgression.
2. Now the first inhabitants that dwelt again in the cities of their possessions in Israel were the priests, the Levites, and the Nethinim.
3. And in Jerusalem dwelt some of the children of Judah, and of the children of Benjamin, and of the children of Ephraim and Manasseh:
4.Uthai ben-Ammihud, the son of Omri, the son of Imri, the son of Bani, of the children of Pharez ben-Judah.
5. And of the Shilonites: Asaiah the firstborn, and his sons.
6. And of the sons of Zerah: Jeuel, and their brethren, six hundred and ninety.
7. And of the sons of Benjamin: Sallu ben-Meshullam, the son of Hodaviah, the son of Hasenuah,
8.and Ibneiah ben-Jeroham, and Elah ben-Uzzi, the son of Michri, and Meshullam ben-Shephathiah, the son of Reuel, the son of Ibnijah,
9.and their brethren, according to their generations, nine hundred and fifty-six. All these men were chiefs of the fathers in the house of their fathers.
¶10. And of the priests: Jedaiah, and Jehoiarib, and Jachin,
11.and Azariah ben-Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, the ruler of the house of God,
12.and Adaiah ben-Jeroham, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchijah, and Maasiai ben-Adiel, the son of Jahzerah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Meshillemith, the son of Immer,
13.and their brethren, chiefs of the house of their fathers, one thousand seven hundred and sixty, mighty men capable of the work of the service of the house of God.
¶14. And of the Levites: Shemaiah ben-Hasshub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, of the sons of Merari,
15.and Bakbakkar, Heresh, and Galal, and Mattaniah ben-Micah, the son of Zichri, the son of Asaph,
16.and Obadiah ben-Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun, and Berechiah ben-Asa, the son of Elkanah, that dwelt in the villages of the Netophathites.
¶17. And the gatekeepers were Shallum, and Akkub, and Talmon, and Ahiman, and their brethren. Shallum was the chief,
18.who until now was stationed in the king’s gate to the east; they were gatekeepers in the companies of the children of Levi.
19. And Shallum ben-Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, of the house of his father, the Korahites, were over the work of the service, keepers of the gates of the tabernacle; and their fathers, being over the host of the
Lord, were keepers of the entry.
20. And Phinehas ben-Eleazar was the ruler over them in time past, and the
Lord was with him.
21. And Zechariah ben-Meshelemiah was the gatekeeper of the entrance of the tent of meeting.
22. All these which were chosen to be gatekeepers at the gates were two hundred and twelve. They were reckoned by their genealogy by their villages. They were assigned by David and Samuel the seer to their office of trust.
23. And they and their children had the oversight of the gates of the house of the
Lord, of the house of the tabernacle, by watches.
24. On four sides were the gatekeepers, toward the east, west, north, and south.
25. And their brethren in their villages come every seven days successively from time to time to be with them.
26. For in their office of trust were four chief gatekeepers; they were Levites. And they were over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God.
27. And they lodged round about the house of God, because the charge was upon them, and they were over the opening every morning.
¶28. And they had the charge of the accoutrements for the service, that they should bring them in by count and take them out by count.
29. And some of them were appointed over the accoutrements, and all the accoutrements of the holy place, and the fine flour, and the wine, and the oil, and the frankincense, and the spices.
30. And some of the sons of the priests made the scented mixture from the spices.
31. And Mattithiah, one of the Levites, who was the firstborn of Shallum the Korahite, had the office over the things that were made in the pans.
32. And others of the sons of the Kohathites, from their brethren, were over the bread of the rows, to prepare it every sabbath.
¶33. And these are the singers, chiefs of the fathers of the Levites, who remained in the chambers free, for they performed the service day and night.
34. These were the chiefs of the fathers of the Levites; these were chiefs throughout their generations. They dwelt at Jerusalem.
¶35. And in Gibeon dwelt the father of Gibeon, Jehiel, whose wife’s name was Maachah.
36. And his firstborn son Abdon, then Zur, and Kish, and Baal, and Ner, and Nadab,
37.and Gedor, and Ahio, and Zechariah, and Mikloth.
38.and Mikloth fathered Shimeam. And they also dwelt with their brethren at Jerusalem, over against their brethren.
39. And Ner fathered Kish, and Kish fathered Saul, and Saul fathered Jonathan, and Malchishua, and Abinadab, and Eshbaal.
40. And the son of Jonathan was Meribbaal. And Meribbaal fathered Micah.
41. And the sons of Micah: Pithon, and Melech, and Tahrea, and Ahaz.
42. And Ahaz fathered Jarah, and Jarah fathered Alemeth, and Azmaveth, and Zimri; and Zimri fathered Moza,
43.and Moza fathered Binea, and Rephaiah his son, Eleasah his son, Azel his son.
44. And Azel had six sons, whose names are these, Azrikam, Bocheru, and Ishmael, and Sheariah, and Obadiah, and Hanan; these were the sons of Azel.
¶1. Now, the Philistines fought against Israel, and the men of Israel fled from before the Philistines and fell slain on Mount Gilboa
2. And the Philistines followed hard after Saul and his sons, and the Philstines stuck down Jonathan, and Abinadab, and Malchi-shuah, Saul’s sons.
3. And the battle was hard against Saul, and the archers hit him, and he was in agony because of the archers.
4. And Saul said to his armor bearer, “Draw your sword and run me through with it, lest these uncircumcised come and deal ruthlessly with me!” But his armor bearer could not because he was very afraid. So, Saul took the sword and fell on it.
5. Then the armor bearer was afraid because Saul was dead, and he also fell on his sword and died.
6. So, Saul died with his three sons, and all his house died together.
7. Now, when all the men of Israel who were in the valley saw that they fled, and that Saul was dead, and his sons, they also abandoned their cities and fled; then the Philistines came and lived in them.
8. And it came to pass the next day that the Philistines came to strip the slain, and they found Saul and his sons fallen on Mount Gilboa.
9. And the stripped him and took his head and his armor, and they sent it all around the land of the Philistines to proclaim the good news to their idols and all the people.
10. And they put his armor in the house of their gods, but his skull they fastened to the temple of Dagon.
11. When all Jabesh-Gilead heard of al. that the Philistines had done to Saul,
12.all the valiant men rose up and took Saul’s body, and the bodies of his sons, and they brought them to Jabesh-Gilead and buried their bones beneath the terebinth tree of Jabesh. Then they fasted seven days.
13. So, Saul does because of his treachery against the
Lord, because he did not obey the word of the Lord, and even inquired of a necromancer for guidance,
14.and did not inquire the
Lord. Therefore, He put him to death, and turned he kingdom over to David ben-Jesse.
¶1. Then all Israel gathered together to David at Hebron, saying, “Behold, we are your own bone and your flesh.
2.Even in times past, when Saul was king, it was you who brought Israel in and out, and Jehovah your God told you, ‘You will shepherd my people Israel, and you will be the prince over my people Israel.’”
3. So, all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and David made a covenant with them before Jehovah at Hebron, and they anointed David as king over Israel, according to the word of the
Lord by the hand of Samuel.
4. And David and all Israel went to Jerusalem (that is, Jebus), but the Jebusites were there, the inhabitants of the land.
5. And the inhabitants of Jebus said to David, “You cannot enter here.” But David took the stronghold of Zion, which is the city of David.
6. For David had said, “Whoever strikes the Jebusites first shall be the chief and commander.” So, Joab ben-Zeruiah went up first, and he became chief.
7. And David dwelt in the stronghold; therefore, they called it the city of David.
8. And he built the city round about Millo and its surroundings. And Joab restored the rest of the city.
9. And David went on and became great, for the
Lord of hosts was with him.
¶10. And these are chiefs of the mighty men whom David had, who strengthened themselves with him in his kingdom, together with all Israel, to make him king according to the word of the
Lord concerning Israel.
11. And this is the number of the mighty men whom David had: Jashobeam ben-Hachmoni, a chief of the three; he lifted up his spear against three hundred whom he slew at one time.
12. And after him was Eleazar ben-Dodo, the Ahohite, who was among the three mighty ones.
13. He was with David at Pas-dammim, for the Philistines had gathered there for battle. And there was a plot of ground full of barley, and the people had fled before the Philistines.
14. But they took their stand in the middle of the plot and defended it, and struck down the Philistines, and the
Lord delivered them with a great victory.
15. And three of the thirty chief men went down to the rock to David, to the cave of Adullam, and the camp of the Philistines was pitched in the Valley of the Rephaim.
16. And at that time, David was in the stronghold, and the garrison of the Philistines was in Bethlehem.
17. And David had a longing, and he said, “Who will give me drink from the water of the well in Bethlehem that is by the gate?”
18. And the three broke through the camp of the Philistines and drew water from the well of Bethlehem that is by the gate. And they brought it to David, but David would not drink it, but poured it out to the
19. And he said, “Far be it from me before my God, that I should do this. Shall I drink the blood of these men who went at risk of their lives? For at the risk of their lives did they go.” Therefore, he would not accept it from them to drink. These things did the three mighty men.
20. And Abishai, the brother of Joab ben-Zeruiah, was a chief among the three. And he lifted his spear against three hundred he killed; so, he had a name among the three.
21. Of the three he was more honorable than the two. Yea, he became their captain, but he did not attain to the three.
22. And Benaiah ben-Jehoida, the son of a valiant man of Kabziel who had done many deeds. He struck down two lions of Moab, and he went down and struck a lion in a pit on a snowy day.
23. And he struck an Egyptian man, a man of great stature five cubits tall. And the Egyptian had a spear in his hand, but he went down to him with a staff and tore the spear from the Egyptian’s hand and killed him with his own spear.
24. These things did Benaiah ben-Jehoiada, and his name was with the three mighty men.
25. Among the thirty, behold, he was honorable, but he did not attain to the three. And David set him over his bodyguard.
26. And the mighty men of the forces were: Asahel, Joab’s brother, Elhanan ben-Dodo of Bethlehem,
27.Shammoth the Harodite, Helez the Pelonite,
28.Ira ben-Ikkesh the Tekoite, Abiezer the Annethothite,
29.Sibbachai the Hushathite, Ilai the Ahohite,
30.Maharai the Netophathite, Heled ben-Baanah the Netophathite,
31.Ithai ben-Ribai of Gibeah of the children of Benjamin, Benaiah the Pirathonite,
32.Hurai of the brooks of Gaash, Abiel the Arbathite,
33.Azmaveth the Baharumite, Eliahba the Shallbonite,
34.of the sons of Hashem the Gizonite, Jonathan ben-Shageh the Hararite,
35.Ahiam ben-Sachar the Hararite, Eliphal ben-Ur,
36.Hepher the Mecherathite, Ahijah the Pelonite,
37.Hezro the Carmelite, Naarai ben-Ezbai,
38.Joel, Nathan’s brother, Mibhar ben-Haggeri,
39.Zelek the Ammonite, Naharai the Berothite, the armor bearer of Joab ben-Zeruiah,
40.Ira the Ithrite, Gareb the Ithrite,
41.Uriah the Hittite, Zabad ben-Ahlai,
42.Adina ben-Shiza the Reubenite, a chief of the Reubenites, and thirty with him,
43.Hanan ben-Maachah, and Joshaphat the Mithnite,
44.Uzzia the Ashterathite, Shama and Jeiel his sons of Hotham the Aroerite,
45.Jediael ben-Shimri, and Joha his brother, the Tizite,
46.Eliel the Mahavite, and Jeribai, and Joshaviah, the sons of Elnaam, Ithmah the Moabite,
47.Eliel, and Obed, and Jasiel the Mezobayah.
¶1. And these are those who came to David at Ziklag, while he kept himself away from the face of Saul ben-Kish. And they were among the mighty men who helped him in battle
2.armed with the bow. And with both right and left hand they could sling stones or shoot arrows. They were kinsmen of Saul, of Benjamin.
3. The chief was Ahiezer, then Joash, the sons of Shemaah the Gibeathite, and Jeziel, and Pelet, the sons of Azmaveth, and Berachah, and Jehu the Anathothite,
4.and Ishmaiah the Gibeonite, a mighty man among the thirty, and who was over the thirty. Then Jeremiah, and Jahaziel, and Johanan, and Jozabad the Gederathite,
5.Eluzai, and Jerimoth, and Bealiah, and Shemariah, and Shephatiah the Hariphite,
6.Elkanah, and Isshiah, and Azareel, and Joezer, and Jashobeam, the Korhites,
7.and Joelah, and Zebadiah, the sons of Jeroham of Gedor.
¶8. And from the Gadites who separated themselves to David at the wilderness stronghold, mighty, valiant men of war fit for battle, who could handle shield and spear, who had faces like the faces of a lion, and who were as swift as gazelles on the mountains:
9.Ezer the first, Obadiah the second, Eliab the third,
10.Mishmannah the fourth, Jeremiah the fifth,
11.Attai the sixth, Eliel the seventh,
12.Johanan the eighth, Elzabad the ninth,
13.Jeremiah the tenth, Machbannai the eleventh.
14. These of the sons of Gad were captains of the army, the least over one hundred, and the greatest over a thousand.
15. These are the ones who crossed over the Jordan in the first month, when it overflows all its banks, and they put all those in the valleys to flight, to the east and to the west.
¶16. And some of the children of Benjamin and Judah came to David at the stronghold.
17. And David went out before them, and he responded and said to them, “If you have come to me in peace to help me, my heart will be united with you, but if you have come to betray me to my enemies when there is no wrong in my hands, may the God of our fathers see it and reprove you.”
18. Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, a captain of the thirty, saying, “We are for you, David, and together with you, son of Jesse! Peace, peace be to you, and peace to your helpers, for God is helping you.” So David received them, and made them captains of the band.
¶19. And some from Manasseh came over to David when he went with the Philistines to battle against Saul, but they did not help them, for after counsel, the lords of the Philistines sent him away, saying, “With our heads will he go over to his master Saul.”
20. And as he was going to Ziklag, there came over to him from Manasseh Adnah, and Jozabad, and Jediael, and Michael, and Jozabad, and Elihu, and Zilthai, captains of the thousands of Manasseh.
21. And they helped with David against the band of raiders, for all of them were mighty men of valor and were commanders in the army.
22. For at that time, day by day, men came to David to help him, until there was a great host like the host of God.
23. And these are the numbers of the bands ready for war who came to David at Hebron, to turn over the kingdom of Saul to him, according to the word of the
24.of the sons of Judah bearing shield and spear, six thousand eight hundred ready for war;
25.of the sons of Simeon, mighty men of valor for the war, seven thousand one hundred;
26.of the sons of Levi, four thousand six hundred;
27.and Jehoiada was the leader of the Aaronites, and with him were three thousand seven hundred;
28.and Zadok, a young man mighty in strength, and his father’s house, twenty-two captains;
29.and of the sons of Benjamin, Saul’s kinsmen, three thousand, for until then the greater part had kept allegiance with the house of Saul;
30.and of the sons of Ephraim, twenty thousand eight hundred mighty men of valor, renowned throughout the house of their fathers;
31.and of the half tribe of Manasseh, eighteen thousand who were designated by name to come to make David king;
32.and of the sons of Issachar, men who understood the significance of the times so as to know what Israel should do, two hundred of their chiefs, and all their brothers at their command;
33.of Zebulun, those who went out for war, prepared for battle with all the weapons of war, fifty thousand, and who kept rank with an undivided heart;
34.and of Naphtali, a thousand captains, and with them with shield and spear, thirty-seven thousand;
35.and of the Danites, prepared for battle, twenty-eight thousand six hundred;
36.and of Asher, those who went out for war prepared for battle, forty thousand.
37. And from the other side of the Jordan: of the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh, with all manner of weapons of war for the battle, one hundred and twenty thousand.
38. All these men of war, who could keep rank, came with a perfect heart to Hebron to make David king of all Israel; and likewise, all the rest of Israel were of one heart to make David king.
39. And they were with David for three days, eating and drinking what their brothers had prepared for them.
40. And those near to them, even as far as Issachar, and Zebulun, and Naphtali brought bread on donkeys, and on camels, and on mules, and on oxen, food: flour, cakes of figs, and clusters of raisins, and wine, and oil, and oxen, and sheep in great abundance, for there was joy in Israel.
¶1. Then David took counsel with the captains of thousands and of hundreds, with every leader.
2. And David said to the whole assembly of Israel, “If it is good to you, and it be of the
Lord our God, let us send abroad to our brothers who are left throughout all the regions of Israel, and with them the priests and the Levites in the cities and their open fields, that they may gather with us.
3.Then let us bring the ark of our God to us, for we have not enquired at it since the days of Saul.”
4. And all the assembly said that they would do so, for the thing was right in the eyes of all the people.
5. And David assembled all Israel from Shihor of Egypt to the Entrance of Hamath to bring the ark of God from Kirjath-jearim.
6. Then David, and all Israel, went up to Baalah, to Kirjath-jearim, which belongs to Judah, to bring up from there the ark of God, Jehovah, who dwells between the cherubim, whose name is called upon in it.
7. And they mounted the ark of God on a new cart at the house of Abinadab, and Uzzah and Ahio were leading the cart.
8. And David and all the house of Israel played before God with all their strength, and with singing, and on lyres, and on harps, and on timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
9. But when they came to the threshing floor of Chidon, Uzzah put out his hand to take hold of the ark because the oxen stumbled.
10. And the anger of the
Lord was kindled against Uzzah, and He struck him down because he put his hand on the ark, and he died there before God.
11. And David was angry, because the
Lord had made a breach against Uzzah. And that place is called Perez-Uzzah to this day.
12. And David feared God that day, saying, “How shall I bring the ark of God to myself?”
13. So David did not take the ark to himself into the city of David, but David took it aside to the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite.
14. And the ark of God remained with the household of Obed-Edom in his house for three months. And the
Lord blessed the house of Obed-Edom, and all that he had.
¶1. And Hiram, king of Tyre, sent messengers to David, and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons for walls, to build a house for him.
2. And David understood that the
Lord had established him as king over Israel, for his kingdom was lifted up on high for the sake of His people Israel’s sake.
3. And David took more wives at Jerusalem, and David fathered more sons and daughters.
4. And these are the names of those born which he had in Jerusalem: Shammua, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon,
5.and Ibhar, and Elishua, and Elpalet,
6.and Nogah, and Nepheg, and Japhia,
7.and Elishama, and Beeliada, and Eliphalet.
8. But the Philistines heard that David had been anointed as king over all Israel. Then all the Philistines came up to seek David, and when David heard of it, he went out to face them.
9. And the Philistines came and made a raid in the Valley of the Rephaim.
10. And David inquired of God, saying, “Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hand?” And the
Lord said to him, “Go up! For I will deliver them into your hand.”
11. And they cane to Baal-Perazim, and David struck them down there. Then David said, “God has broken through my enemies by my hand like the breaking forth of waters.” Therefore, they called that place Baal-Perazim.
12. And they abandoned their idols there, and David burned them up with fire.
¶13. And the Philistines yet again spread themselves in the valley.
14. And David inquired again of God, and God said to him “Do not go up after them. Go around above them, and you shall come at them opposite the mulberry trees.
15.And it shall be, that when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees, then you shall go out to the battle, for God will have gone out before you to strike down the camp of the Philistines.”
16. And David did as God commanded him, and he struck down the army of the Philistines from Geba even as far as Gaza.
17. And the fame of David went out through all lands, and the
Lord put the fear of him on all the nations.
1. And David built houses in the city of David, and he prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched a tent for it.
2. Then David said, “None should bear the ark of God but the Levites, for Jehovah chose them to bear the ark of the
Lord, and to minister to Him forever.”
3. And David assembled all Israel at Jerusalem, to bring up the ark of the
Lord to its place which he had prepared for it.
4. Then David gathered the sons of Aaron and the Levites:
5.of the sons of Kohath, Uriel, the chief, with his brothers, one hundred and twenty;
6.of the sons of Merari, Asaiah, the chief, with his brothers, two hndred and twenty;
7. of the sons of Gershom, Joel, the chief, with his brothers, one hundred and thirty;
8.of the sons of Elizaphan, Shemaiah, the chief, with his brothers, two hundred;
9.of the sons of Hebron, Eliel, the chief, with his brothers, eighty;
10.of the sons of Uzziel, Amminadab, the chief, with his brothers, one hundred and twelve.
11. And David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab.
12. And he said to them, “You are the chiefs of the fathers of the Levites. Sanctify yourselves and your brothers, so that you may bring up the ark of the
Lord, the God of Israel, to the place I have prepared for it.
13.Because you did not do so the first time, Jehovah our God broke out upon us, for we did not seek Him according to the ordinance.”
14. So the priests and the Levites sanctified themselves to bring up the ark of the
Lord, the God of Israel.
15. And the sons of the Levites bore the ark of God on their shoulders with the poles on them, just as Moses commanded according to the word of the
16. And David spoke to the chiefs of the Levites to appoint from their brothers singers with musical instruments, harps, lyres, and cymbals, playing loudly to lift up a joyful sound.
17. And the Levites appointed: Heman ben-Joel, and from his brothers, Asaph ben-Berechiah; and from the sons of Merari their brothers, Ethan ben-Kushaiah.
18. And with them their brothers of the second order, Zechariah, Ben, and Jaaziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, Eliab, and Benaiah, and Maaseiah, and Mattithiah, and Elipheleh, and Mikneiah, and Obed-Edom, and Jeiel the gatekeepers.
19. And the singers were Heman, Asaph, and Ethan, sounding with the brass cymbals,
20.and Zechariah, and Aziel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Unni, and Eliab, and Maaseiah, and Benaiah with the harps upon Alamoth,
21.and Mattithiah, and Elipheleh, and Mikneiah, and Obed-Edom, and Jeiel, and Azaziah, with lyres upon Sheminith.
22. And Chenaniah, chief of the Levites over the duties, directed the work because he understood it.
23. And berechiah and Elkanah were the gatekeepers for the ark.
24. And Shebaniah, and Joshaphat, and Nethaneel, and Amasai, and Benaiah, and Eliezer the priests blew with the trumpets before the ark of God, and Obed-Edom and Jehiah were gatekeepers for the ark.
25. So it was that David, and the elders of Israel, and the captains of the thousands went to bring up the ark of the covenant of the
Lord from the house of Obed-Edom with joy.
26. And it came to pass, when God helped the Levites who bore the ark of the
Lord, that they slaughtered seven bullocks and seven rams.
27. And David was clothed with a robe of byssus, as were all the Levites who bore the ark, and the singers, and Chenaniah, the director of the singers’ duties. David also had on a linen ephod.
28. Thus all Israel brought up the ark of the covenant of the
Lord with shouting, and with the sound of the shofar, and with trumpets, and with cymbals, playing on harps and lyres.
29. And it came to pass, as the ark of the covenant of the
Lord came to the city of David, that Michal, the daughter of Saul looked down through a window, and she saw king David leaping and dancing, and she despised him in her heart.
¶1. And they brought in the ark of God and set it in the midst of the tent which David had pitched for it. And they offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before God.
2. And when David finished offering burnt offerings and peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the
3. And he distributed to every man of Israel, both men and women, to each a loaf of bread and a piece of flesh, and a cake of raisins.
4. And he appointed some of the Levites to minister before the ark of the
Lord, and to make remembrance, and to give thanks and praise to Jehovah, the God of Israel:
5.Asaph, the chief, and next to him Zechariah, Jeiel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehiel, and Mattithiah, and Eliab, and Benaiah, and Obed-Edom, and Jeiel on the harps and lyres, but Asaph sounded the cymbals,
6.with Benaiah and Jahaziel the priests blowing with the trumpets continually before the ark of the covenant of God.
7. Then, on that day, David first appointed that thanksgiving be made to the
Lord by the hand of Asaph and his brothers.
¶8. Give thanks to the
Lord! Call on His name! Make His deeds known among the nations!
9. Sing to Him! Play for Him! Meditate on all His wonders!
10. Glory in His holy name! Let the heart of those who seek the
11. Seek the
Lord and His strength! Seek His face always!
12. Remember His wondrous works that He has done, His miracles, and the judgments of His mouth!
13. O seed of Israel, His servant! O sons of Jacob, His chosen ones!
14. He is Jehovah our God! His judgments are in all the earth!
15. Be mindful always of His covenant, the word He commanded for a thousand generations,
16.the covenant which He made with Abraham, and his oath to Isaac,
17.and then, He confirmed it to Jacob for a law, for an eternal covenant to Israel, and He confirmed it to Jacob as a statute for Israel, an everlasting covenant.
18.saying, “I will give you the land of Canaan as the lot of your inheritance.”
19. When they were few in number, very few, and strangers in it,
20.when they wandered from nation to nation, and from one kingdom to another people,
21.He suffered no man to oppress them, and He rebuked kings for their sakes, saying,
22. “Do not touch my anointed ones, and do not harm my prophets.”
23. Sing to the
Lord all the earth! Tell of His salvation from day to day!
24. Declare His glory among the Gentiles, His wonders among all the nations,
Lord is great, and greatly to be praised. And He is to be feared above all gods.
26. For all the gods of the nations are just idols, but Jehovah made the heavens.
27. Majesty and splendor are in His presence; strength and joy are in His place.
28. Ascribe to the
Lord, you families of nations, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength!
29. Ascribe to the
Lord the glory of His name! Bring an offering and come before Him! Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness!
30. Dance before Him, all the earth! Yea, the world shall be established; it shall not be shaken.
31. The heavens will be glad, and the earth will rejoice! And say among the Gentiles, “Jehovah is King!”
32. The sea and its fullness will thunder! The field and all that is in it will exult!
33. Then the trees of the forest sing for joy at the presence of the Lord when He comes to judge the earth.
34. Give thanks to Jehovah, for He is good, for His mercy endures forever.
35. And say, “Save us, O God of our salvation, and gather us, and deliver us from among the nations so that we may give thanks to your holy name and boast in your praise.”
36. Blessed be Jehovah, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting! And let the people say, “Amen”! Hallelujah!
¶37. And he left Asaph and his brothers there before the ark of the covenant of the
Lord to minister before the ark continually, as each day required,
38.with Obed-Edom and his brothers, sixty-eight; and Obed-Edom ben Jeduthun and Hosah were the gatekeepers.
39. But Zadok the priest, and his brothers the priests were before the tabernacle of the
Lord at the high place that was in Gibeon,
40.to offer burnt offerings to the
Lord on the altar of burnt offering continually, morning and evening, and to do all that was written in the law of the Lord which he had commanded Israel.
41. And with them was Heman and Jeduthun, and the rest that had been chosen, who were appointed by name to give thanks to Jehovah, for His mercy is forever.
42. And with them were Heman and Jeduthun, sounding with trumpets and cymbals, and musical instruments for the songs of God. And the sons of Jeduthun were gatekeepers.
43. And all the people went each one to his house, and David returned to bless his house.
¶1. And it came to pass as David sat in his house that he said to Nathan the prophet, “Behold, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the
Lord is under curtains.”
2. Then Nathan said to David, “Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you.”
3. But that night it came to pass that the word of God came to Nathan, saying,
4. “Go, and say to David my servant, ‘Thus says Jehovah: You, yourself, will not build the house for me to dwell in,
5.for I have not dwelt in a house from the day that I brought Israel up until this day, but I have been from tent to tent and from dwelling-place to dwelling-place.
6.In any place I went about with all Israel, have I ever spoken to one of the judges of Israel whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, “Why have you not built a house of cedar for me?”’
7.And then say this to my servant, to David: ‘Thus says the
Lord of Hosts: I took you out from the sheep pen, from following the flock, to be ruler over my people Israel.
8.And I have been with you everywhere you went, and I have cut off all your enemies before you, and I have made you a name like the name of the great men who are on the earth.
9.Furthermore, I appointed a place for my people Israel, and I planted him that he might dwell in it, and that he be troubled no more, and that unjust men would not again waste him as before.
10.And from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel, I have subdued all your enemies. And I tell you: Jehovah will build you a house.
11.And it will come to pass that when your days are fulfilled to go be with your fathers, then I will raise up your seed after you who will be one of your sons, and I will establish his kingdom.
12.He will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever.
13.I will be his father, and he will be my son, and I will not take away my mercy from him as I took it from him who was before you.
14.I will set him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne will be established forever.”
15. According to all these words, and according to all this vision, so did Nathan speak to David.
¶16. And David the king came before the
Lord, and he said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house that you have brought me this far?
17.But this was a small thing in your eyes, O God. You have also spoken of your servant’s house concerning times that are far off, and you have considered me as a man of high degree, O
18.What more could David say to you concerning the honor of your servant? For you know your servant.
19.O Jehovah, for your servant’s sake, and according to your heart have you done all this greatness, to make known all these great things.
20.O Jehovah, there is none like you, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
21.And what one nation of the earth is like your people Israel, whom God went to redeem to be His people, to make yourself a great and dreadful name, by driving out nations from before your people whom you redeemed from Egypt?
22.And you made your people Israel your own people forever, and you, O Jehovah, became their God.
23.And now, O Jehovah, let the thing that you have spoken concerning your servant and his house be established forever, and do as you have said.
24.And let it be established that your name may be magnified forever, saying, ‘The
Lord of Hosts is the God of Israel, the God to Israel, and that the house of David is established before you.’
25.For you, O my God, have revealed to the ear of your servant that you will build a house for him. Therefore, your servant has found courage to pray before you.
26.And now, O Jehovah, you are God, and you have spoken this good thing concerning your servant,
27.and you were pleased to bless the house of your servant that it may be before you forever, for you, O Jehovah, have blessed, and it shall be blessed forever.”
¶1. And it came to pass after this, that David struck the Philistines and subdued them, and he took Gath and its villages from the hand of the Philistines.
2. And he also struck Moab, and Moab became servants for David and brought tribute.
3. And David struck Hadadezer, king of Zobah near Hamath, as he went to establish his power to the Euphrates River.
4. And David took from him one thousand chariots, and seven thousand horsemen, and twenty thousand footmen. And David hamstrung all the chariot horses, but he kept for himself one hundred for chariots.
5. And when the Syrians of Damascus came to help Hadadezer, the king of Zobar, David also struck down twenty-two thousand men of the Syrians.
6. Then David put garrisons in Syria of Damascus, and Syria became servants for David and brought tribute. And the
Lord gave victory to David wherever he went.
7. And David took the gold shields that were with the servants of Hadadezer and brought them to Jerusalem.
8. And from Tibhath, and from Chun, cities of Hadarezer, David took very much bronze. With it, Solomon made the bronze sea, and the pillars, and the bronze vessels.
9. And when Toi, king of Hamath, heard that David had struck the whole army of Hadarezer, king of Zobar,
10.then he sent Hadoram his son to King David, to beg peace of him, and to bless him because he had fought with Hadadezer and struck him down, (for Hadadezer had been a man at war with Toi) and with him were all manner of vessels of gold, and silver, and bronze.
11. King David also dedicated them to Jehovah, with the silver, and the gold that be carried off from all the nations; from Edom, and from Moab, and from the children of Ammon, and from the Philistines, and from Amalek.
12. And Abishai ben-Zeruiah struck eighteen thousand Edomites in the Valley of Salt.
13. And he put garrisons in Edom, and all the Edomites became servants to David. And the
Lord gave victory to David wherever he went.
14. And David reigned over all Israel, and David executed judgment and righteousness for all his people.
15. And Joab ben-Zeruiah was over the army, and Jehoshaphat ben-Ahilud was the recorder.
16. And Zadok ben-Ahitub, and Ahimelech ben-Abiathar, were the priests, and Shavsha was the scribe.
17. And Benaiah ben-Jehoiada was over the Cherethites and the Pelethites, and the sons of David were chiefs at the king’s side.
¶1. And it came to pass after this, that Nahash, the king of the children of Ammon died, and his son became king in his place.
2. And David said, “I will show kindness to Hanun ben-Nahash, as his father showed kindness to me.” So, David sent messengers to comfort him concerning his father. And David’s servants went into the land of the children of Ammon, to Hanun, to comfort him.
3. But the chiefs of the children of Ammon said to Hanun: “Do you think David is honoring your father because he has sent comforters to you? Has David not rather sent his servants to you to search, and to overthrow, and to spy out the land?”
4. And so, Hanun took David’s servants, and he shaved them, and cut off half of their garments up to their buttocks, and then sent them away.
5. And certain men came and told David about the men. And he sent messengers to meet them because the men were greatly humiliated. And the king said, “Stay at Jericho until your beards grow and then return.”
6. And the children of Ammon saw that they had made themselves a stench to David, so Hanun and the children of Ammon sent a thousand talents of silver to hire them chariots and horsemen from Aram-naharaim, and from Syria-Maacah, and from Zobah.
7. And they hired for themselves thirty-two thousand chariots, and the king of Maacah, and his people. And they came and camped before Medeba. And the children of Ammon were gathered from their cities, and they came for the battle.
8. And David heard of it, and he sent Joab and all the host of mighty men.
9. And the children of Ammon came out and set the battle in order at the entrance of the city, and the kings who had come were by themselves in the open country.
10. And Joab saw that the battle line against him was in front and behind, so he chose from all the choice men in Israel to set in array against the Syrians.
11. And the rest of the people he put in the hand of Abishai his brother, and they were arrayed against the children of Ammon.
12. And he said, “If the Syrians are stronger than I, then you shall be my help, but if the children of Ammon are stronger than you, then I will help you.
13.Be courageous and be strong for our people and for the cities of our God, and the
Lord shall do what is good in His eyes.”
14. And Joab and the people who were with him drew near before the Syrians to the battle, and they fled before him.
15. When the children of Ammon saw that the Syrians had fled, then they also fled from before Abishai his brother, and entered the city. Then Joab went to Jerusalem.
16. But when the Syrians saw that they had been defeated by Israel, then they sent messengers, and brought out the Syrians who were beyond the river, and Shophach, the commander of the army of Hadarezer, went before them.
17. And it was reported to David, and he gathered all Israel and crossed over the Jordan, and he came to them and set the battle in order against them. And when David had set the battle in order against the Syrians, they fought with him.
18. And the Syrians fled before Israel, and David killed seven thousand Syrian chariot men and forty thousand footmen, and he killed Shophach, the commander of the army.
19. And when the vassals of Hadarezer saw that they had been defeated by Israel, then they made peace with David and served him. And neither would the Syrians help the children of Ammon anymore.
¶1. And it came to pass, at the time of the turning of the year, at the time kings go out to battle, that Joab led out the full strength of the army, and he destroyed the land of the children of Ammon, and came and besieged Rabbah, but David stayed at Jerusalem. And Joab struck Rabbah and overthrew it.
2. And David took the crown of their king off his head, and he found that it weighed a talent of gold, and in it was a precious stone, and it was placed on David’s head. And he took out a great abundance of spoil from the city.
3. And he brought forth the people who were in it, and set them under the saw, and iron harrows, and under axes. And David did thus to all the cities of the children of Ammon. Then David returned with all the people to Jerusalem.
4. And it came to pass after this, that there arose a battle at Gezer with the Philistines. At that time, Sibbechai the Hushathite struck down Sippai, of the children of the giants, and they were subdued.
5. And there was another battle with the Philistines, and Elhanan ben-Jair struck down Lahmi, the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the shaft of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
6. And there was yet another battle at Gath, and there was a man of great stature and his fingers and toes were six and six, twenty-four, and he also was born of the giant.
7. And when he defied Israel, Jonathan ben-Shimea, David’s brother struck him down.
8. These were born to the giant in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.
¶1. Satan stood up against Israel, and he provoked David to number Israel.
2. And the king said to Joab, and to the rulers of the people, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and come back to me that I may know the number.”
3. And Joab said, “May Jehovah add to His people one hundred times more than they are, but my lord the king, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why does my lord seek this thing? Why will he be a cause for guilt for Israel?”
4. But the king’s word prevailed against Joab, so Joab went out through all Israel, and came to Jerusalem.
5. And Joab gave the sum of the numbering of the people to David. And in all Israel were one million one hundred thousand men who drew the sword, and in Judah were four hundred and seventy thousand men who drew the sword.
6. And he did not count Levi and Benjamin among them, for the king’s command was abhorrent to Joab.
7. But this thing was displeasing in the sight of God, and He struck Israel.
8. And David said to God, “I have sinned greatly because I did this thing. Yet pass over now, I pray you, O
Lord, the iniquity of your servant, for I have done very foolishly.”
9. Then the
Lord spoke to Gad, David’s seer, saying,”
10.“Go and speak to David, saying, ‘Thus says the
Lord, I offer three things to you. You choose one of them, and I will do it to you.’”
11. So Gad came to David and said to him, “This says the
Lord, ‘Choose for yourself:
12.either three years of famine, or three months of destruction before your adversaries while the sword of your enemies overtakes you, or three days of the
Lord’s sword, even pestilence in the land, and the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the territory of Israel. So now, consider what word I will bring back to Him who sent me.”
13. And David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Let me fall now into the hand of the
Lord, for his mercy is abundant, but let me not fall into the hand of man.”
14. So the
Lord sent a plague throughout Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell.
15. And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it, but as he was destroying it, the
Lord saw, and He repented of the evil, and He said to the angel who was destroying, “Enough, stay your hand now.” And the angel of the Lord was standing by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
16. And David lifted up his eyes, and he saw the angel of the
Lord standing between the earth and heaven, and in his hand his drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem. Then David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell on their faces.
17. And David said to God, “Was it not I who said to count the people, and I who sinned and did great evil? But these sheep, what have they done? O
Lord God, I pray you, let your hand be upon me, and on my father’s house, and let not the plague be upon your people.”
18. Then the angel of the
Lord spoke to Gad to tell David that David should go up to raise an altar to Jehovah on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.
19. And David went up at Gad’s word, which he had spoken in the name of Jehovah.
20. And Ornan turned and saw the angel, and his four sons who were with him hid themselves. Now Ornan was threshing wheat,
21. and as David came to Ornan, Ornan looked and saw David, and he went out from his threshing floor and did obeisance to David with his face to the ground.
22. And David said to Ornan, “Give me the place of this threshing floor, that I may build an altar on it to the
Lord. Give it to me for the full price, and the plague will be stayed from the people.”
23. And Ornan said to David, “Take it for yourself, and let my lord the king do what is good in his eyes. Look, here are the oxen for a burnt offering, and threshing sledges and implements for the wood.”
24. Then king David said to Ornan, “No, I must buy it. I will buy it at full price, for I will not take what is yours for Jehovah or offer burnt offerings without cost.”
25. So David gave Ornan six hundred gold shekels by weight for the site.
26. And David built an altar there to the
Lord, and he offered burnt offerings and peace offerings. And he called on Jehovah, and He answered him with fire from heaven upon the altar of burnt offering.
27. And the
Lord spoke to the angel, and he returned his sword into its sheath.
28. From that time, when David saw that Jehovah had answered him at the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite, he then sacrificed there,
29.for the tabernacle of the
Lord which Moses built in the wilderness, and the altar of burnt offering were at that time in the high place at Gibeon,
30.and David could not go before it to inquire of God because he was afraid of the sword of the angel of the
¶1. Then David said, “This will be the house of the
Lord God, and this will be the altar of burnt offering for Israel.”
2. And David commanded to gather the strangers who were in the land of Israel, and he set stonecutters to cut out hewn stones to build the house of God.
3. And David prepared iron in abundance for the nails for the doors of the gates, and for the joints, and bronze in abundance beyond weighing.
4. Also cedar logs without number, for the Sidonians and the Tyrians brought cedar logs in abundance to David.
5. And David said, “Solomon my son is young and tender, and the house that is to be built for the
Lord must be exceedingly great, in fame and in beauty throughout all lands. I am making preparation now for it.” So, David prepared abundantly before his death.
6. Then he called for Solomon his son, and he charged him to build the house for the
Lord, the God of Israel.
7. And David said to Solomon his son, “As for me, it was in my heart to build a house to the name of the
Lord my God.
8.But the word of the
Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and fought great battles. You shall not build a house for my name because you have shed much blood on the earth before me.
9.Behold, the son who will be born to you, he shall be a man of rest. And I shall give him rest from all his enemies round about, for his name will be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days.
10.He shall build a house for my name, and he will be my son, and I will be his father. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.’
11.My son, Jehovah will be with you now, and He will prosper you. So, build the house of the
Lord your God, just as He said concerning you.
12.Only, Jehovah give you insight and understanding, so that when He gives you command over Israel, you might keep the law of Jehovah your God.
13.Then, you will prosper, when you are careful to carry out the statutes and the judgments which Jehovah commanded Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid and do not be dismayed.
14.And behold, in my affliction I have prepared for the house of the
Lord a hundred thousand gold talents, and a million talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond weighing, for it is in abundance. Also, I have prepared timber and stone, but you must add to them.
15.And with you are many of workmen: stonecutters, and stone masons, and carpenters. And of all manner of skilled men for every kind of work
16.with gold, silver, and bronze, and iron there is no number. Arise, and work! And may Jehovah be with you.”
17. David also commanded all the princes of Israel to help Solomon his son, saying,
18.“Is not the
Lord your God with you? And has he not given you rest on every side? For He has delivered the inhabitants of the land into my hand, and the land is subdued before Jehovah, and before His people.
19.Set your heart and your soul now to seek the
Lord your God. Arise, therefore, and build the sanctuary of the Lord God, that the ark of the covenant of the Lord and the holy vessels of God may be brought into the house that is to be built to the name of the Lord.”
¶1. When David was old and full of days, he made Solomon his son king over Israel.
2. And he gathered together all the princes of Israel, and the priests, and the Levites.
3. And the Levites from the age of thirty years old and above were numbered, and their number of men by their polls was thirty-eight thousand.
4. Of these, David said, “Twenty-four thousand will oversee the work of the house of the Lord, and six thousand will be officers and judges.
5.And four thousand will be gatekeepers, and four thousand are to offer praise to Jehovah with the musical instruments that I have made for giving praise.”
6. And David divided them into courses according to the sons of Levi: Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
7. Of the Gershonites: Ladan, and Shimei.
8. The sons of Ladan: Jehiel was the chief, and Zetham, and Joel, three.
9. The sons of Shimei: Shelomith, and Haziel, and Haran, three. These were the chiefs of the fathers of Ladan.
10. And the sons of Shimei: Jahath, Zina, and Jeush, and Beriah. These were the sons of Shimei, four.
11. And Jahath was the chief, and Zizah the second, but Jeush and Beriah did not have many sons. Therefore, they were in one reckoning, according to their father's house.
12. The sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel, four.
13. The sons of Amram: Aaron and Moses. But Aaron was set apart to consecrate him for the most holy things, he and his sons forever, to burn incense before Jehovah, to minister to Him, and to bless in His name forever.
14. As for Moses, the man of God, his sons were named among the tribe of Levi.
15. The sons of Moses: Gershom, and Eliezer.
16. The sons of Gershom: Shebuel was the chief.
17. And the sons of Eliezer: Rehabiah was the chief. And Eliezer had no other sons, but the sons of Rehabiah were very many.
18. The sons of Izhar: Shelomith was the chief.
19. The sons of Hebron: Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth.
20. The sons of Uzziel: Michah the first, and Jesiah the second.
21. The sons of Merari: Mahli, and Mushi. The sons of Mahli: Eleazar, and Kish.
22. And Eleazar died, and had no sons, but daughters only, and their brothers, the sons of Kish, took them.
23. The sons of Mushi: Mahli, and Eder, and Jeremoth, three.
24. These are the sons of Levi by the house of their fathers, the chiefs of the fathers, counted by number of names of their polls, who did the work of the service of the house of the Lord, from twenty years old and above.
25. For David said, “The
Lord, the God of Israel, has given rest to His people that they may dwell in Jerusalem forever,
26.and also to the Levites. They shall no longer bear the tabernacle, nor any of its accoutrements for its service.”
27. For by the last words of David, the sons of Levi were numbered from twenty years old and above.
28. For their office was to be at the side of Aaron for the service of the house of the Lord, and over the chambers, and over the purification of all that is holy, and the work of the service of the house of God,
29.and the rows of bread, and the fine flour of the grain offering, and the unleavened wafers, and the griddle, and the baked things, and all measurement and weight,
30.and to stand every morning to give thanks and praise to Jehovah, and the same in the evening,
31.and to offer the burnt offerings to the Lord on the Sabbaths, the new moons, and the appointed times by number according to ordinance for them continually before the Lord,
32.and that they should keep the charge of the tent of meeting, and the charge of holy, and the charge of the sons of Aaron their brothers, for the service of the house of the Lord.
¶1. And these were the courses of the sons of Aaron. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.
2. But Nadab and Abihu died before their father and had no children. So, Eleazar and Ithamar ministered as priests.
3. And David divided them, even Zadok of the sons of Eleazar, and Ahimelech of the sons of Ithamar, according to their offices in their service.
4. And there being more chief men found of the sons of Eleazar than of the sons of Ithamar, thus were they divided. Of the sons of Eleazar there were sixteen chief men of the house of their fathers, and of the sons of Ithamar eight according to the house of their fathers.
5. And they were divided by lots, all alike, for there were rulers of the sanctuary, and rulers of the house of God from both the sons of Eleazar and the sons of Ithamar.
6. And Shemaiah ben-Nethaneel, the scribe, one of the Levites, recorded them before the king, and the princes, and Zadok the priest, and Ahimelech ben-Abiathar, and the chiefs of the fathers of the priests and Levites: one father’s house being taken for Eleazar, and one taken for Ithamar.
7. And the first lot came out for Jehoiarib, the second for Jedaiah,
8.the third for Harim, the fourth for Seorim,
9.the fifth for Malchijah, the sixth for Mijamin,
10.the seventh for Hakkoz, the eighth for Abijah,
11.the ninth for Jeshua, the tenth for Shechaniah,
12.the eleventh for Eliashib, the twelfth for Jakim,
13.the thirteenth for Huppah, the fourteenth for Jeshebeab,
14.the fifteenth for Bilgah, the sixteenth for Immer,
15.the seventeenth for Hezir, the eighteenth for Haphses,
16.the nineteenth for Pethahiah, the twentieth for Jehezekel,
17.the twenty-first for Jachin, the twenty-second for Gamul,
18.the twenty-third for Delaiah, the twenty-fourth for Maaziah.
19. These were their appointments for their service to come to the house of the Lord, according to their ordinance by Aaron their father, as the Lord, the God of Israel, had commanded him.
20. And the rest of the sons of Levi: of the sons of Amram, Shubael. Of the sons of Shubael, Jehdeiah.
21. Of Rehabiah: of the sons of Rehabiah, the first was Isshiah.
22. Of the Izharites: Shelomoth; of the sons of Shelomoth, Jahath.
23. And the sons of Hebron: Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, Jekameam the fourth.
24. The sons of Uzziel: Michah. Of the sons of Michah, Shamur.
25. The brother of Michah was Isshiah. Of the sons of Isshiah, Zechariah.
26. The sons of Merari: Mahli and Mushi. The sons of Jaaziah, Beno.
27. The sons of Merari by Jaaziah: Beno, and Shoham, and Zacchur, and Ibri.
28. Of Mahli came Eleazar, but he had no sons.
29. Of Kish: the son of Kish, Jerahmeel.
30. And the sons of Mushi: Mahli, and Eder, and Jerimoth. These were the sons of the Levites by the house of their fathers.
31. And lots also fell for them, just as for their brothers, the sons of Aaron, in the presence of David the king, and Zadok, and Ahimelech, and the chief of the fathers of the priests and Levites, the chief fathers just as their younger brother.
¶1. And David and the captains of the host separated for service from the sons of Asaph, and Heman, and Jeduthun, who should prophesy with lyres, with harps, and with cymbals. And their number, workmen by their service was:
2.Of the sons of Asaph: Zacchur, and Joseph, and Nethaniah, and Asarelah, the sons of Asaph under the direction of Asaph, who prophesied according to the king’s order.
3. Of Jeduthun: the sons of Jeduthun, Gedaliah, and Zeri, and Jeshaiah, Hashabiah, and Mattithiah, six, under the direction of their father Jeduthun, who prophesied with a lyre, to give thanks and praise to the Lord.
4. Of Heman: the sons of Heman, Bukkiah, Mattaniah, Uzziel, Shebuel, and Jerimoth, Hananiah, Hanani, Eliathah, Giddalti, and Romamti-ezer, Joshbekashah, Mallothi, Hothir, and Mahazioth.
5. All these were the sons of Heman, the king's seer in the words of God, to lift up the horn. And God gave Heman fourteen sons and three daughters.
6. All these were under the direction of their fathers for song in the house of the Lord, with cymbals, harps, and lyres, for the service of the house of God, according to the king's order to Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman.
7. And the number of them, with their brothers who were instructed in the songs of the Lord, all who had discernment, was two hundred and eighty-eight.
8. And they cast lots for charges in like manner, for the lesser as for the greater, the teacher with the pupil.
9. And the first lot came out for Asaph to Joseph, the second for Gedaliah, he and his brothers and sons were twelve.
10. The third for Zacchur, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
11. The fourth for Izri, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
12. The fifth for Nethaniah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
13. The sixth for Bukkiah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
14. The seventh for Jesharelah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
15. The eighth for Jeshaiah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
16. The ninth for Mattaniah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
17. The tenth for Shimei, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
18. The eleventh for Azareel, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
19. The twelfth for Hashabiah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
20. The thirteenth for Shubael, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
21. The fourteenth for Mattithiah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
22. The fifteenth for Jeremoth, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
23. The sixteenth for Hananiah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
24. The seventeenth for Joshbekashah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
25. The eighteenth for Hanani, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
26. The nineteenth for Mallothi, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
27. The twentieth for Eliathah, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
28. The twenty-first for Hothir, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
29. The twenty-second for Giddalti, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
30. The twenty-third for Mahazioth, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
31. The twenty-fourth for Romamti-ezer, his sons and his brothers were twelve.
¶1. For the courses of the gatekeepers: of the Korahites, Meshelemiah ben-Kore, of the sons of Asaph.
2. And the sons of Meshelemiah: Zechariah the firstborn, Jediael the second, Zebediah the third, Jathniel the fourth,
3. Elam the fifth, Jehohanan the sixth, Elioenai the seventh.
4. And the sons of Obed-edom: Shemaiah the firstborn, Jehozabad the second, Joah the third, and Sachar the fourth, and Nethaneel the fifth,
5. Ammiel the sixth, Issachar the seventh, Peulthai the eighth, for God blessed him.
6. And unto Shemaiah his son were sons born, rulers of the house of their father, for they were mighty men of valor.
7. The sons of Shemaiah: Othni, and Rephael, and Obed, Elzabad, (his brothers were strong men) Elihu, and Semachiah.
8. All these were of the sons of Obed-edom: they and their sons and their brothers, able men with strength for the service, were sixty-two from Obed-edom.
9. And Meshelemiah had sons and brothers, strong men, eighteen.
10. And Hosah, of the sons of Merari, had sons: Simri the chief, (for though he was not the firstborn, yet his father made him the chief)
11. Hilkiah the second, Tebaliah the third, Zechariah the fourth. All the sons and brothers of Hosah were thirteen.
12. From these were the courses of the gatekeepers, from the chief men, having charges like those of their brothers, to minister in the house of the Lord.
13. And they cast lots, for the small and the great, according to the house of their fathers, for each gate.
14. And the eastward lot fell to Shelemiah. Andn for Zechariah his son, a wise counsellor, they cast lots, and his lot came out for the north.
15. For Obed-edom southward, and to his sons the house of Asuppim.
16. For Shuppim and Hosah westward, with the Shallecheth gate, by the road of ascent, charge beside charge.
17. Eastward were six Levites, northward four each day, southward four each day, and toward Asuppim two and two.
18. At Parbar westward, four at the highway, and two at Parbar.
19. These are the courses of the porters from the sons of Kore, and from the sons of Merari.
20. And of the Levites, Ahijah was over the treasures of the house of God, and the treasures of holy things.
21. The sons of Ladan, the sons of the Gershonites belonging to Ladan, chiefs of the fathers of Ladan the Gershonite: Jehieli.
22. The sons of Jehieli: Zetham, and Joel his brother, who were over the treasures of the house of the Lord,
23. Of the Amramites, the Izharites, the Hebronites, and the Uzzielites:
24. And Shebuel ben-Gershom, the son of Moses, was ruler of the treasures.
25. And his brothers by Eliezer: Rehabiah his son, and Jeshaiah his son, and Joram his son, and Zichri his son, and Shelomith his son.
26. This Shelomith and his brothers were over all the treasures of holy things, which David the king, and the chief fathers, the captains over thousands and hundreds, and the captains of the army, had dedicated.
27. From of the spoils of battles they had dedicated these to maintain the house of the Lord.
28. And all that Samuel the seer, and Saul ben-Kish, and Abner ben-Ner, and Joab ben-Zeruiah had dedicated, whatever had been dedicated, was under the hand of Shelomith, and his brothers.
29. Of the Izharites, Chenaniah and his sons were assigned to external work over Israel, as officers and judges.
30. Of the Hebronites, Hashabiah and his brothers, men of valor, one thousand seven hundred, over the administration of Israel on west side of the Jordan for all the work of the Lord, and in the service of the king.
31. Of the Hebronites, Jerijah was the chief of the Hebronites, according to the generations of his fathers. In the fortieth year of David’s reign, they were sought for and found among the mighty men of valor in Jazer of Gilead.
32. And his brothers, men of ability, were two thousand seven hundred chiefs of their fathers, and king David appointed them over the Reubenites, and the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh, for every matter pertaining to God, and the affairs of the king.
¶1. And the heads of the fathers of the children of Israel by their number, even the captains of thousands and hundreds, and their officers who ministered to the king in any matter pertaining to the courses, who came in and went out each month, for each month of the year, one course was twenty-four thousand.
2. Over the first course for the first month was Jashobeam ben-Zabdiel, and in his course were twenty and four thousand.
3. Of the children of Perez was the chief of all the captains of the host for the first month.
4. And over the course of the second month was Dodai the Ahohite, and of his course was Mikloth also the ruler. And in his course were twenty and four thousand.
5. The third captain of the host for the third month was Benaiah ben-Jehoiada, a chief priest, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
6. (This is Benaiah, a mighty man of the thirty, and over the thirty.) And in his course was Ammizabad his son.
7. The fourth captain for the fourth month was Asahel, Joab’s brother, and Zebadiah his son after him, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
8. For the fifth month the fifth captain was Shamhuth the Izrahite, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
9. The sixth captain for the sixth month was Ira ben-Ikkesh the Tekoite, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
10. The seventh captain for the seventh month was Helez the Pelonite, of the children of Ephraim, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
11. The eighth captain for the eighth month was Sibbecai the Hushathite, of the Zarhites, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
12. The ninth captain for the ninth month was Abiezer the Anetothite, of the Benjaminites, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
13. The tenth captain for the tenth month was Maharai the Netophathite, of the Zarhites, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
14. The eleventh captain for the eleventh month was Benaiah the Pirathonite, of the children of Ephraim, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
15. The twelfth captain for the twelfth month was Heldai the Netophathite, of Othniel, and in his course were twenty-four thousand.
¶16. And over the tribes of Israel: the ruler of the Reubenites was Eliezer ben-Zichri. Of the Simeonites, Shephatiah ben-Maachah:
17.Of the Levites, Hashabiah ben-Kemuel. Of the Aaronites, Zadok.
18. Of Judah, Elihu, one of David’s brothers. Of Issachar, Omri ben-Michael.
19. Of Zebulun, Ishmaiah ben-Obadiah. Of Naphtali, Jerimoth ben-Azriel.
20. Of the children of Ephraim, Hoshea the son of Azaziah. Of the half tribe of Manasseh, Joel ben-Pedaiah.
21. Of the half tribe of Manasseh in Gilead, Iddo ben-Zechariah. Of Benjamin, Jaasiel ben-Abner.
22. Of Dan, Azareel ben-Jeroham. These were the princes of the tribes of Israel.
23. Now David did not take the number of them from twenty years old and under because Jehovah had said that He would multiply Israel like the stars of heaven.
24. Joab ben-Zeruiah began to number the people, but he did not finish. And wrath came upon Israel because of this, and the number was not put into the account of the chronicles of king David.
25. And over the king’s treasures was Azmaveth ben-Adiel. And over the storehouses in the country, in the cities, and in the villages, and in the towers was Jonathan ben-Uzziah.
26. And over those who did the work of the field, to labor on the land was Ezri ben-Chelub.
27. And over the vineyards was Shimei the Ramathite, and over the vintage for the wine cellars was Zabdi the Shiphmite.
28. And over the olive trees and the sycamore trees that were in the Shephelah was Baal-hanan the Gederite. And over the oil storehouses was Joash.
29. And over the herds that pastured in Sharon was Shitrai the Sharonite, and over the herds in the valleys was Shaphat ben-Adlai.
30. And over the camels was Obil the Ishmaelite, and over the she-asses was Jehdeiah the Meronothite.
31. And over the flocks was Jaziz the Hagerite. All these were overseers of king David’s substance.
32. And Jonathan, David’s uncle was a counselor, a man of understanding and a scribe. And Jehiel ben-Hachmoni was with the sons of the king.
33. And Ahithophel was the king’s counselor, and Hushai the Archite was the king’s friend.
34. And after Ahithophel was Jehoiada ben-Benaiah, and Abiathar. And the commander of the king’s army was Joab.
¶1. And David assembled all the rulers of Israel, the rulers of the tribes, and the captains of the courses who ministered to the king, and the captains over thousands, and the captains over hundreds, and the overseers over all the substance and cattle of the king, and of his sons, with the officers, and the mighty men, and all the men of valor to Jerusalem.
2. And king David rose to his feet, and he said, “Hear me, my brothers, and my people. I had it in my heart to build a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord, and for the footstool of our God, and I prepared for the house.
3.But God said to me, ‘You shall not build a house for my name because you have been a man of war and have shed blood.’
4.Yet, Jehovah, the God of Israel, chose me from all the house of my father to be king over Israel forever. For He chose Judah to be the ruler, and in the house of Judah, the house of my father, and among my father’s sons he took pleasure in me to make me king over all Israel.
5.And from all my sons, (for the Lord gave me many sons) He has also chosen Solomon my son to sit on the throne of the kingdom of the Lord over Israel.
6.And He said to me, ‘Solomon your son, he shall build my house and its courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be a father for him.
7.And I will establish his kingdom forever, if he has courage to do my commands and my judgments, as it is this day.’
8.So now, in the sight of all Israel, the Assembly of the Lord, and in the hearing of our God, keep and seek after all the commandments of Jehovah your God, so that you may possess the good land, and leave it as an inheritance for your children after you forever.
9.And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind, for Jehovah searches out all hearts, and discerns every intention of thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you, but if you forsake him, He will reject you forever.
10.Consider now, for Jehovah has chosen you to build the house for the sanctuary. Be strong and do it!”
¶11. Then David gave to Solomon his son: the pattern of the porch, and its buildings, and its treasuries, and its upper chambers, and its inner chambers, and the place of the mercy-seat;
12.and the pattern of all that he had by the Spirit for the courts of the house of the Lord, and for all the chambers round about, for the treasuries of the house of God, and for the treasuries of holy things;
13.and the courses of the priests and Levites, and for all the work of the service of the house of the Lord, and for all the accoutrements of the house of the Lord;
14.and gold by weight, the gold for the vessels for each service, for all the vessels of silver by weight, for all the vessels of each service;
15.and gold by weight for the gold menorahs, and for their gold lamps, by weight for each menorah, and its lamps, and the silver by weight for a menorah and its lamps according to the service of each menorah;
16.and the gold by weight for each table of the tables of the rows of bread, and silver for the silver tables;
17.and pure gold for the meat-hooks, and the basins, and the cups, and for the bowls, gold by weight for each bowl, and silver for the silver bowls , by weight for each bowl;
18.and for the incense altar refined gold by weight, and gold for the pattern of the chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord.
19. David said, “All this came in writing by the hand of the Lord upon me. He gave me understanding of all the works of this pattern.”
20. Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do it. Do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, my God, will be with you. He will not fail you, nor forsake you, until you finish all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.
21.And behold, the courses of the priests and Levites are for all the service of the house of God, and with you for every manner of work are all manner of willing, skillful man, for every manner of service. Also, the rulers, and all the people are all at your command.”
¶1. And king David said to all the Assembly, “Solomon my son, whom alone God has chosen is young and tender, and the work is great, for the temple is not for man but for the Lord God.
2.And I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God gold for gold objects, and silver for silver objects, and bronze for the bronze objects, and iron for the iron things, and wood for wooden things, precious stones, and stones for setting in antimony, and of divers color, and all manner of precious stone, and alabaster in abundance.
3.And besides, because I have set my affection on the house of my God, there is my own gold and silver that I have given for the house of my God, over and above all that I prepared for the holy house:
4.three thousand talents of gold, gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the house,
5.gold for gold objects, and silver for the silver objects, and for all manner of work by the hands of craftsmen. Who then is willing to dedicate his hand today to the Lord?”
6. Then the chief fathers, and the rulers of the tribes of Israel, and the captains over thousands, and the captains over hundreds, and the overseers of the king’s business offered willingly,
7.and they gave for the service of the house of God five thousand gold talents and ten thousand drams, and ten thousand talents of silver, and eighteen thousand talents of bronze, and one hundred thousand talents of iron.
8. And whoever possessed stones gave them into the treasury of the house of the Lord by the hand of Jehiel the Gershonite.
9. And the people rejoiced because they offered it willingly, for with a perfect heart did they offer it freely to the Lord. And king David also rejoiced greatly.
10. And David blessed Jehovah in the sight of all the Assembly, and he said, “Blessed are you, O Lord, the God of Israel, forever and ever.
11.Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth. To you, O Lord, is the dominion, and you are exalted above all as the head.
12.And riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all, and in your hand is power and might. And it is in your hand to make great, and to strengthen all.
13.And now, our God, we thank you and give praises to your glorious name.
14.But who am I, and who are my people that we should be able to offer freely in this manner? For everything comes from you, and we have given to you what was from your hand.
15.For we are strangers before you, even sojourners, as were all our fathers. Our days on the earth are as a shadow, and there is no hope.
16.O Lord our God, all this abundance that we have prepared to build a house for your holy name is from your hand; it is all yours.
17.And I know, my God, that you test the heart and take pleasure in uprightness. As for me, in the uprightness of my heart I have willingly offered all these things, and now I have seen with joy your people who are present here offer willingly to you.
18.O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel our fathers, preserve this purpose and the intentions of the heart of your people forever, and set their heart toward you.
19.And give to Solomon my son a perfect heart to keep your commandments, your testimonies, and your statutes, and to do all these things, and to build the temple for which I have made provision.”
20. And David said to all the Assembly, “Bless the Lord your God now.” And all the Assembly blessed the Lord, the God of their fathers, and they bowed and did obeisance to Jehovah, and the king.
21. And they offered sacrifices to the Lord and made burnt offerings to the Lord on the next day: a thousand bullocks, a thousand rams, a thousand lambs with their drink offerings, and sacrifices in abundance for all Israel.
22. And they ate and drank before Jehovah on that day with great gladness. And they made Solomon ben-David king the second time, and anointed him before Jehovah to be the sovereign, and Zadok to be priest.
23. Then Solomon sat on the throne of the Lord as king instead of David his father. And he prospered and all Israel obeyed him.
24. And all the rulers, and the mighty men, and all the sons of king David also submitted themselves to king Solomon.
25. And the Lord magnified Solomon exceedingly in the eyes of all Israel, and He gave him royal majesty that had never been upon any king over Israel before him .
26. And David ben-Jesse reigned over all Israel.
27. And the days that he reigned over Israel were forty years. In Hebron, he reigned seven years, and in Jerusalem he reigned thirty-three years.
28. And he died at a good age, full of days, riches, and honor. And Solomon his son reigned in his place.
29. Now the acts of king Davidm the first and the last, behold, they are written in the chronicles of Samuel the seer, and in the chronicles of Nathan the prophet, and in the chronicles of Gad the seer,
30.with all his reign, and his might, and the times that passed over him, and over Israel, and over all the kingdoms of the earth.
 Look at Gen. 10:22–23.
 Literally “Uzza” but spelt here as “Uzzah” as in other places.
 Ps. 46:1
 Pss. 6:1; 12:1
 See 1Chron. 23:19.
 The “storehouse”.