Select a thought to read by choosing a collection, the month, and then the day:
Thought for the Morning
In A World Without God, Part 3
“The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God.’ ”
David, in Psalm 14:1
Paul made a list of good and evil things in Galatians 5, but look at them from the point of view of these men, from the viewpoint of a world without God. First, the evil “works of the flesh”:
The Works of the Flesh in a World Without God
- immorality - In a world without God, any kind of immoral conduct is acceptable, no matter how perverse it may seem to those in a world with God. And Paul’s exhortation to young Timothy to “flee fornication” is shown to be merely superstitious bondage.
- uncleanness - In a world without God, purity has no value. It actually becomes an undesirable hindrance to a right understanding of life. So, people who are child molesters in God’s world, appear in a world with no God to be child educators, broadening a child’s narrow horizons.
- licentiousness - In a world without God, any restraint upon human moral conduct is oppressive nonsense. The most perverted acts are seen as mere expressions of self and of liberty.
- idolatry and sorcery - In a world without God, as in God’s world, this kind of conduct is wrong. But in a Godless world, it is mere foolishness practiced by the shallow-minded. In God’s world, it can be deadly, for demons can become involved and deceive people with their power.
- hostilities, strife, and disputes - In a world without God, violent conflicts are unavoidable, as different people’s quests for self-aggrandizement conflict. In the end, a world without God becomes a “dog-eat-dog” world in which the strong crush the weak.
- emulation and envy - In a world without God, desire for the pleasure and wealth that others possess is reason enough for murder or for war. Envy becomes a primary motivator of all human action.
- angry outbursts - In a world without God, there is nothing to restrain violence if one is frustrated with failures or has a lack of anything.
- selfish ambition - In a world without God, the pleasing of self is the only wise and reasonable purpose for doing anything.
- factions - In a world without God, people can unite in groups to take from others something they want, but how long can such a group hold together when self is the only real motivating factor?
- drunkenness and revelry - In a world without God, “getting high” or wild abandon to fleshly lusts is just as acceptable a life choice as becoming a builder if that is what self wants. There is no standard by which either goodness or wickedness can be determined, nor can there be, in a world without God.
Next Time: In A World Without God, Part 4