Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore, let us go forth to him outside the camp, bearing his reproach. For we have no continuing city here, but we seek one to come.
Select a book to read:
¶1. A vision of Obadiah. Thus says my Lord Jehovah to Edom (We have heard a report from Jehovah that a messenger was sent among the nations, saying, “Rise up! Let us rise up against her in battle!”):
2. “Behold, I have made you small among the nations, and you are greatly despised.
3. You who dwell in clefts of a cliff, your insolent heart has deceived you. His seat is in a high place, and in his heart he says, ‘Who can bring me down to the ground?’
4. Though you mount up high as the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,” says Jehovah.
5. If thieves came upon you, or robbers by night (How you are cut off!), would they not steal only until they had enough? Or if gatherers came to you, would they not leave the gleanings?
6. How the things of Esau are plundered, and his treasures sought out!
7. All the men of your confederacy shall drive you away to the border. Those at peace with you shall deceive you and prevail against you. Those who eat your bread shall lay a trap for you. (There is no understanding in him!)
8. “Will I not in that day,” says Jehovah, “destroy wise men from Edom and understanding from Mount Esau?
9. Your mighty men shall be broken, O Teman, so that everyone from Mount Esau might be cut off by slaughter.
10. Because of your violence against your brother Jacob, shame will cover you, and you will be cut off forever.
11. On the day that you stood at a distance, on the day foreigners carried off his wealth and strangers entered into his gates and cast a lot upon Jerusalem, you were like one of them.
12. You should not have looked on in the day of your brother, in the day of his calamity! You should not have rejoiced over the sons of Judah in the day of their destruction! You should not have boasted in the day of distress!
13. You should not have entered into the gate of my people in the day of their calamity! Truly, you should not have looked upon his affliction in the day of his calamity! Neither should you have laid hands on his wealth in the day of his calamity!
14. Neither should you have stood at the crossroads to cut off his fugitives, nor handed over his survivors in the day of distress!
15. The day of Jehovah is near for all the nations. As you have done, so shall it be done to you. Your doings shall return upon your own head.
16. For as you drank upon my holy mountain, all the nations will drink continually from you, and they will drink and swallow up, and your possessions will be as though they never existed.
17. But deliverance shall be on Mount Zion, and there shall be holiness, and the house of Jacob shall have their possessions.
18. The house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau shall be stubble, and they shall burn among them and consume them. And there will be no survivor of the house of Esau, for Jehovah has spoken.
19. They of the Negeb shall possess Mount Esau, and they of the Shephelah shall possess the Philistines, the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria, and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
20. And the exiles of this fortress, which belongs to the children of Israel, shall possess that which belongs to the Canaanites as far as Zarephath, and the exiles of Jerusalem who are in Sepharad shall possess the cities of the Negeb.
21. And saviors will rise up in Mount Zion to judge Mount Esau, and the kingdom shall be the Lord’s!”